Hi there!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChilledGecko

Zythophile, innit mate
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just joined as I'm looking to rekindle my interest in homebrewing after too many years away.
I'm amazed at how the technology has moved on while I've been gone!
Tinned gloop replaced by grain and BIAB systems - wondrous times.

I've yet to get my head around where to start, I have nothing at the moment so I want to get my new set up correct first time if it is possible.
I'll put my hand up firmly in the air and declare that I'm a fully fledged geek and have found the CraftBeerPi controller system interesting and am considering basing my system around this, but obviously I'm open to opinions.

I'm not going to be rushing in to this as I can have a dedicated brew area that I could set up in a shed/workshop area, once I've reconfigured a few things.

See you around the forum all!

All the best

Kevin

Welcome to Valhalla, Gecko. Apart from the systems and technologies, what do you like to drink?

I want to get my new set up correct first time if it is possible.

If you haven't brewed since the days of pickled gloop, I'd be inclined do a few practice runs first with whatever equipment you can lay your hands on to see what works for you and get a clearer idea of how how like to do it. Fermentation vessels and conditioning, whether in kegs, bottles, pressure barrels will probably be fixed. If you decide you want to ferment in stainless steel, for example, then, if you can afford it, don't waste your dosh buying something temporary, but as for the mashing and boiling, I'd be inclined to play around a bit. You wowed at brew in a bag, but have you tried it, for example?

Thanks for the welcome guys, much appreciated!

I do want to get it right on my first hit if I can, pipe dream maybe, but a worthy target to aim for.

I’d like to go direct into all grain if I can, I was lucky enough to spend a day preparing a brew in one of our local independent breweries a month or two back which fired up my interest big time.
Being able to finely control a repeatable process appeals to me.

I don’t have access to any trial equipment so I’ll need to do as much investigation as I can prior to making the big step.
I’ve seen the grainfathers et al but they seem too inflexible, but do I need flexibility? Questions to ponder.

I’ve been reading up on herms and rim set ups, herms seems overly complex so at the moment I’m leaning towards rim (for today...)

To be honest I’ve not yet dived into the fermentation side, my head is still spinning with the brewing options at the moment.

Get yourself the basics, a 12L stock pot and some demijohns. You can play around with some stove top brews while you read up on what equipment you want and what you're going to make with it.

Thanks for the welcome guys, much appreciated!

I do want to get it right on my first hit if I can, pipe dream maybe, but a worthy target to aim for.

I’d like to go direct into all grain if I can, I was lucky enough to spend a day preparing a brew in one of our local independent breweries a month or two back which fired up my interest big time.
Being able to finely control a repeatable process appeals to me.

I don’t have access to any trial equipment so I’ll need to do as much investigation as I can prior to making the big step.
I’ve seen the grainfathers et al but they seem too inflexible, but do I need flexibility? Questions to ponder.

I’ve been reading up on herms and rim set ups, herms seems overly complex so at the moment I’m leaning towards rim (for today...)

To be honest I’ve not yet dived into the fermentation side, my head is still spinning with the brewing options at the moment.

Another option, then, would be to go for something you can get a good second hand price for. I don't do "all in one" set ups so can't advise you on the best one to get, but if, for example, you got a Grainfather, you could explore it's limitations and that would give you a better idea of what you want to end up with. I would think you could then sell it second-hand at a good price. You might even find a second-hand one and you sound like the sort of chap who would have no problems recommissioning a second-hand one.

Latest posts

Back