High reading on hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braumeister

Regular.
Reaction score
Took a reading of 1.024 to see where it was at, because the krausen remnants (a lot of krausen sticking around on day7 with this yeast wyeast 1272) and dry hop causing the ispindel to give some odd readings.

1.024 was higher than expected as it seemed to be close to completion and was expecting Final gravity to be around 1.017. Lots of co2 in the sample, lots of little bubbles shooting up from the bottom and sample very cloudy. Shook it a bit and left it overnight to lose some co2 and go flat.

Today the reading was showing 1.016, quite a difference! Just might be worth considering if anyone relies on these readings to measure abv as I have been doing.

Seems in this case the co2 in solution really skewing the reading. Interestingly the ispindel was spot on - 1.016 too. Probably it’s not affected by co2 being so much heavier and works using tilt rather than float. Although when it floated into the dry hops that sure messed it up, think I’ll weigh the dry hop bag down more next time try and get it down out the way.

Took a reading of 1.024 to see where it was at, because the krausen remnants (a lot of krausen sticking around on day7 with this yeast wyeast 1272) and dry hop causing the ispindel to give some odd readings.

1.024 was higher than expected as it seemed to be close to completion and was expecting Final gravity to be around 1.017. Lots of co2 in the sample, lots of little bubbles shooting up from the bottom and sample very cloudy. Shook it a bit and left it overnight to lose some co2 and go flat.

Today the reading was showing 1.016, quite a difference! Just might be worth considering if anyone relies on these readings to measure abv as I have been doing.

Seems in this case the co2 in solution really skewing the reading. Interestingly the ispindel was spot on - 1.016 too. Probably it’s not affected by co2 being so much heavier and works using tilt rather than float. Although when it floated into the dry hops that sure messed it up, think I’ll weigh the dry hop bag down more next time try and get it down out the way.
Day 7 seems a bit early to be thinking of doing much other than leaving it for another week, but anyway to comment on your observation:

If the sample contains a lot of CO2, it will form bubbles on the hydrometer and give a false reading by "pushing the hydrometer up" with extra buoyancy.
A final gravity of 1.017 seems high and unless you are brewing a very strong beer, it may be much too early for packaging / bottling.
The 1.016 reading is probably about where your beer is at right now, given that you got rid of the CO2 in the sample..

Thanks Slid, yes it’s a strongish beer, started at 1.070. It is going to be in there for another week regardless, just put some dry hop in there now. Definitely not ready yet, still really cloudy and I expect at least some yeast cleaning itself up to do, if not a few more points drop. Thought it was interesting how much difference the bubbles made though, I think I’ll leave the sample overnight from now on.

If you twiddle the hydrometer around a bit, in the sample, it shakes the bubbles off. Lifting a hydrometer out and replacing in the sample has a similar effect, so maybe no need to leave overnight.
Another idea is to give the sample a bit of a shake before adding the hydrometer.

I pour my samples into a mug, using two mugs the go to is pour back and forth seven times, I do twenty. I can confidently say the sample is degassed pour into the hydrometer tube and take a reading.

Latest posts

Back