High temp yeast for low ABV mead?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llamaman

Regular.
Reaction score
I'd like to brew a low-strength table mead.
Currently, my temp control is taken up with another brew - is there a high-temp tolerant yeast suitable for mead brewing?
I mean high-temp: high 20s C, possibly hitting 30C if this heat keeps up.

Has anyone tried using a Belgian or saison strain?

Also, if anyone has a good recipe for a simple table mead, I'd be grateful for it.

3 x 340g jars of orange blossom honey from Tesco made up to 5 L gives around 1.060 OG. I've done that size of a batch with D-47 wine yeast until it was dry then bottle conditioned like a beer. Very tasty and cider like and 7 - 8% abv. The second batch was doubled to 6 jars and 10L and fermented with Safale S-04, I stopped fermentation at 1.007 with camden tablets and potassium sorbate so it's off dry and still. The tiny residual sweetness works well with the orange blossom flavour making it taste sweeter than it actually is.

High temp yeast wise, i'm not so sure. The foks on the gotmead forums due a one month mead using Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong but keep the temp more sensible. I'm wanting to see what happens when you ferment honey with Voss kveik at 30 - 40c but not tried it get. There's a craft meadery in the states who make dry sparkling meads that inspired my first batch as above, they published the reicpes and use D-47 at 30c so it gives some interesting fermentation character as otherwise a 6 - 7% mead can be a bit flat and one dimensional due to lack of honey. Not sure what it would do at those temps as wine makers generally get scared of it above 20c but the meadery seems to be doing well.

High temp yeast wise, i'm not so sure. The foks on the gotmead forums due a one month mead using Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong but keep the temp more sensible. I'm wanting to see what happens when you ferment honey with Voss kveik at 30 - 40c but not tried it get. There's a craft meadery in the states who make dry sparkling meads that inspired my first batch as above, they published the reicpes and use D-47 at 30c so it gives some interesting fermentation character as otherwise a 6 - 7% mead can be a bit flat and one dimensional due to lack of honey. Not sure what it would do at those temps as wine makers generally get scared of it above 20c but the meadery seems to be doing well.
I think I must have read the same thread.
The thing that concerns me is that D47 is usually reported as throwing fusels at temps over 20C and I'll be smashing that. But a professional meandery must know their method well so maybe accepted wisdom is wrong on this one?
Also looked at Lalvin KV-1116 which apparently is ok up to 35C.
Plus I have half a sachet of Lallemand Belle Saison that needs using.
I may end up trying all of them...

Fusels are also a function of gravity, maybe working at 1.060-ish keeps the yeast more in check? Most home wines will be approaching double that gravity. If you do an experiment with the yeasts please let me know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back