Higher than expected final gravity reading

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haggerma

New to brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening all
So, I have had a beerworks golden rocket pale ale kit brewing.

I Added the hops on day 7 (kit did day day 5) and then left it for another 10 days - so 17 days in total.

Took a gravity reading yesterday and today (today being day 10). It has been at a stable 20 degrees throughout.

Starting reading was about 1054 and has read 1016 for the last 24 hours.

The kit says 1010 should be the final reading. Should I assume that as I have the same reading for 24 hours it's finished or should I leave it for another week before I cold crash and bottle?

I've done this kit recently (good choice - it's great!) and it didn't get down to 1010. Can't remember what it finished at...most of my brews net out at 0002 - 0004 above target. In fact I don't think I've made one yet that's come in precisely on the money.

Tbh, I'm not so sure I trust either a) the kit's stated abv and b) my hydrometer.

With kits, even the super-premium like Golden Rocket (4.2kg malt), a pragmatic view is best, I reckon. Look after it, let it ferment out, then bottle/barrel and only then take a view. Don't sweat the small stuff: treat the stated abv as a guide, and enjoy your beer. This one's a beaut.

PS: If you can, let this one sit for six weeks. Wish I had...my best pints from this kit were my last! Easier said than done though...

You could also try swirling the trub very gently with your brew paddle (sanitise and don't introduce any oxygen by stirring vigorously), just to see if there's any oomph left in the sunken yeast. This might bring the gravity down a peg or two over the next 48hrs, and it'll quickly settle down again. Then cold crash and bottle/barrel.

Good luck! Let us know what you think. For me this was a refreshing change from all those hop-driven IPAs...

Btw Haggerma: you're only 26 messages in and already a supporting member.

You've got some class.
Oh I become a supporting member before I even posted lol. Spent some time searching on the fourm and could see it was a helpful friendly bunch.

I used to be into modifying cars in my youth and found them so valuable, so when I find a good one which I'm Lilley to use for the long term I'll support it.

Evening all
So, I have had a beerworks golden rocket pale ale kit brewing.

I Added the hops on day 7 (kit did day day 5) and then left it for another 10 days - so 17 days in total.

Took a gravity reading yesterday and today (today being day 10). It has been at a stable 20 degrees throughout.

Starting reading was about 1054 and has read 1016 for the last 24 hours.

The kit says 1010 should be the final reading. Should I assume that as I have the same reading for 24 hours it's finished or should I leave it for another week before I cold crash and bottle?
Hi. I did this kit last summer and it sounds similar to you. It started at 1057 and ended at 1019. You’ll enjoy it🍻

Latest posts

Back