Hipster and IPA’s

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ED6B8B86-8F6F-4766-81F8-7BE7C450C722.jpeg

Yeah, I agree.
Though I heard some of the big breweries were experimenting with cannabis infused beers.

There are CBD infused beers, not tried one but I'm not really sold on the idea as it sounds like a bit of a gimmick.
Cannabis buds look quite similar to hop flowers as well, would be interesting if some of those cafes in Amsterdam took up brewing beer

There are CBD infused beers, not tried one but I'm not really sold on the idea as it sounds like a bit of a gimmick.
Cannabis buds look quite similar to hop flowers as well, would be interesting if some of those cafes in Amsterdam took up brewing beer
It’s legal in most states across the pond now so I guess it could be big money to be had over there. But yeah think definitely a gimmick. Hops have been used for hundreds if not thousands of years, weed hasn’t.

Weed is hardly a recent thing, but there definitely is a linkage. You notice it straightaway when drinking home-brew compared to shop beer, and the extra hops (I'm guessing most of us like beer which is more hopped than the norm for shop beer) is surely the reason. I have drunk one of those cannabis infused beers, and as noted, it's just a gimmick really.

"Back in the day" there used to be a beer called Two'se Too Much.
Apparently it was "hemp" based.
A mate of mine got hold of some, said it was truly awful!!!

Weed is hardly a recent thing, but there definitely is a linkage. You notice it straightaway when drinking home-brew compared to shop beer, and the extra hops (I'm guessing most of us like beer which is more hopped than the norm for shop beer) is surely the reason. I have drunk one of those cannabis infused beers, and as noted, it's just a gimmick really.
I mean within brewing..u don’t find the Incas, Ancient Egyptians or European Monks using weed in beer. They probably tried but it just didn’t give the best results. It definitely does have that “Twang” to it tho when you open a fresh packet of hops

I wonder if it's just not economical.
Cannabis with a strong/appealing aroma tends to be very expensive.
I could see how it would work but but would be damn expensive.

Beer in a lot of ancient societities were a staple. Would you want your day to day drink to have pyschoactive properties???
Maybe for religious reasons???
Opium was used in some Greek cults and an opium wine was drunk in ancient Rome.

I wonder if it's just not economical.
Cannabis with a strong/appealing aroma tends to be very expensive.
I could see how it would work but but would be damn expensive.

Beer in a lot of ancient societities were a staple. Would you want your day to day drink to have pyschoactive properties???
Maybe for religious reasons???
Opium was used in some Greek cults and an opium wine was drunk in ancient Rome.
I think the economical thing wouldn’t have been a problem. Modern society puts a price on commodity’s. Back then , same as today it’s just a weed. .. Then there’s the paintings “Gin Lane” so I don’t think there was a taboo “about being out of it”. Im thinking weed just wasn’t that good in beer brewing over hops 🤷‍♂️
DD71EE1D-41BB-4778-A4E0-811FCCA04587.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the economical thing wouldn’t have been a problem. Modern society puts a price on commodity’s. Back then , same as today it’s just a weed. ..
Society putting a price on things is not a modern phenomenon.
Purple was a luxury item in the ancient mediterrean, the Phonencians made fortunes dominating the trade of the dye.
The Athenian Empire was based on their domination of trade in the mediterrean and their silver mines.
The Roman Empire succeded because it enabled the easy trade of low margin goods (such as pottery) across the Empire.
The ancient Irish put a huge price and status on the ownership of cattle.

Cannabis, does grow easily in the right conditions but it does require cultivation as it is prone to parasitic insects, moulds and disease. Also, like any agricultral commodity, it has been breed to meet human needs and requirements

My point about using cannabis in beer, however, was not about the ancient world but the modern. Good weed fetches a premium price (in the modern world) and I doubt it could be economically used to flavour beer.

The Gin Lane Lithograph was part of an anti-Gin campaign in the 19th century.
Gin was the first mass produced spirit that could be afforded by the working class and caused great worry about the social damge it could cause.
If you notice, in the centre of the lithograph, a mother is throwing away her nursing baby to get her gin fix.

The Gin Lane Lithograph was part of an anti-Gin campaign in the 19th century.
Gin was the first mass produced spirit that could be afforded by the working class and caused great worry about the social damge it could cause.
If you notice, in the centre of the lithograph, a mother is throwing away her nursing baby to get her gin fix.
Let’s not also forget that Gin Lane is half of a two piece work - the other half being Beer Street, where good, honest British ale is contrasted with the effects of that nasty continental liquor.

Obviously propaganda but also illustrative of the views at the time of the role of beer vs spirits. Beer was sustenance; if you wanted to get plastered (and throw you life away - just say no, kids) then gin was for you.

Let’s not also forget that Gin Lane is half of a two piece work - the other half being Beer Street, where good, honest British ale is contrasted with the effects of that nasty continental liquor.

Obviously propaganda but also illustrative of the views at the time of the role of beer vs spirits. Beer was sustenance; if you wanted to get plastered (and throw you life away - just say no, kids) then gin was for you.
I forgot that part.

The 'In our time' series had an episode on the Gin Craze, worth a listen if you are into history;

Latest posts

Back