Historical Brewing Techniques (Lars Garshol)

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

cushyno

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only done one no boil for which I also used a hop tea.
It was a real experimental batch doing no boil for the first time and splitting the wort 5 ways into separate demijohns with different yeasts. The no boil bit was easy, the rest of the brewday was such a faff so I guess I never got to fully enjoy the simplicity of a short no-boil brewday.

I found the raw ale to be more grainy which may be good for certain styles like wheat or stout where the grain plays a larger part. Some of the bottles mellowed out quite nicely.

I'd do it again, maybe for a quick no-boil kveik wheat beer, probably a wit. Now that's got me thinking...

St00

Cad, bounder and blackguard
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at all. About half of my beers are no boil nowadays. The main difference to the traditional method is that sometimes i boil my hops in water to add as a tea to the raw wort. Actually i have seen Oak and Time in Norway also doing this. Its on a David Heath video. Having done so many no boils i am really surprised it has not taken off. So many advantages and if your using kveik it only has to drop 40c before you can pitch.
As a Grainfather brewer David Heath's videos have helped me like nothing else. I'm definitely going to attempt David's Raw Ale Recipe I have tried many of the farm strains of Kveik from a chap called Tamas on e-Bay. Tormodgarden is definitely my favourite.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
As a Grainfather brewer David Heath's videos have helped me like nothing else. I'm definitely going to attempt David's Raw Ale Recipe I have tried many of the farm strains of Kveik from a chap called Tamas on e-Bay. Tormodgarden is definitely my favourite.
How would you say it compares to Voss? My current favourite is Juggernaut but that is a blend not a farmhouse strain.

St00

Cad, bounder and blackguard
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would you say it compares to Voss? My current favourite is Juggernaut but that is a blend not a farmhouse strain.
It's got less citrus to Voss and appeared to finish softer. Voss is great, but I found Tormodgarden to be more rounded.

I'm currently using Kveiking which is also great, I bought some near it's end date and I've been using a shallow teaspoon of it for fruit forward IPAs for the past 9 months. My least favourite strain so far is Ebbergarden, which I found rather sharp.