Historical Brewing Techniques (Lars Garshol)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorst

Reaction score
This book has technically not been released yet (release date 30 April 2020) but I'm quite excited for it's release.

HBT-Mockup-Template-Angle_2019_1800x.jpg

The author, Lars Garshol, has become a bit of an authority on Norwegian farmhouse brewing and Kveik. If you have not had to pleasure to read some of his work you can find his blog here.

The book is an exploration of the brewing traditions and techniques of northern European farmhouses. They often completely go against modern knowledge about brewing and are really intruiging. One of the discoveries that has found it's way to homebrewers is Kveik, a family of yeast that was handed down for generations in Norway.

I have pre-ordered the book. Any other fans of the topic on the forum?

This book has technically not been released yet (release date 30 April 2020) but I'm quite excited for it's release.

HBT-Mockup-Template-Angle_2019_1800x.jpg

The author, Lars Garshol, has become a bit of an authority on Norwegian farmhouse brewing and Kveik. If you have not had to pleasure to read some of his work you can find his blog here.

The book an exploration of the brewing traditions and techniques of northern European farmhouses. They often completely go against modern knowledge about brewing and are really intruiging. One of the discoveries that has found it's way to homebrewers is Kveik, a family of yeast that was handed down for generations in Norway.

I have pre-ordered the book. Any other fans of the topic on the forum?
Have no more than a passing interest in tasting these beers since I don't know them and they sound a bit funky, BUT I love a good read. June 7th here on Amazon France. Ordered one anyway. Thanks for the tip.

I bought this last night on the Book Depository. It's a few bucks more expensive than via the publishers directly, but they do have free worldwide delivery. The publishers wanted to charge US$20+ for delivery to Europe - more than the price of the book! Having said that, the publisher did contact me afterwards about my un-completed online shopping basket. When I told them I abandoned the purchase due to cost of delivery, they did say they could have looked into it for me to see if there was a cheaper price to my location.

Here's Lars' page with the contents and outline listed.

I'm really looking forward to receiving this.

I live in the Netherlands and could preorder it through my local online store (bol.com) for 23.99 euro. Good to hear you have been able to put an order in. I've seen that some people actually received their books early. One can hope...

One of the few advantages of this pandemic is that a lot of online conferences are being held. I caught one earlier this week with Lars and it made me pre-order the book blindly.

I advise everyone that is remotely interested to have a look at this online conference rewatch.

I'm eager to exchange what you think of the book once it arrives.

I advise everyone that is remotely interested to have a look at this online conference rewatch.

I've been watching these Escarpment Labs webinars for the last couple of weeks. I think they're really quite good and informative. I placed my order for the book last night while listening to Lars. :-)

Edit: I should have checked your link! The one I was watching last night was different.

Last edited:
Agreed, @Dorst. These last few weeks are dragging massively, I've had it on order since October and have kveik yeast and a juniper bush in readiness for post read brewing.

Agreed, @Dorst. These last few weeks are dragging massively, I've had it on order since October and have kveik yeast and a juniper bush in readiness for post read brewing.

When you say you've "a juniper bush in readiness" I take it you have one growing in your garden (or somewhere else)? As I've visions of a massive spikey bush in your cupboard nestling amongst the baked beans

I asked for an update since mine was also delayed. The new expected day of arrival is Tuesday May 19th. I ordered mine from the Dutch webshop bol.com.

looks an interesting read. Bit pricey for what i like to pay for books. So I'll do what I normally do and wait a year or two for the price to drop before purchasing

Amazon, at least in the states, has it available for their Kindle device and app. Looks like an interesting read. I'll wait until I read some reviews.

Had this on preorder with Wordery but they cancelled the order a few weeks ago. Reordered via Book Depository and it came pretty quickly. Not read much of it yet, but Lars' stuff is right up my street, so looking forward to getting into it.

Interesting. I've never heard of sahti before

No I hadn’t either. I am keen to try and brew one. If you are interested here is the link to the authors website. Sahti and Related Ancient Farmhouse Ales He goes into a lot of interesting detail into the history etc. I would grab an Ale this afternoon and sit and have a read. Enjoy.

Yep, two in the garden. They were purchased and planted solely for brewing a Vossaøl.
Nice! I bought a couple of junipers after first hearing about sahti(?) and raw ale/kveik. One died within a month and the other has shown a considerable lack of vim. There's possibly only enough juniper for about a pint of beer :laugh8: 😢

Latest posts

Back