HLT build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan West

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my progress with the HLT. Fitted the Sight glass today and reused the cut out to make a lid... It wasn't made without blood though... My 3mm still bit snapped as I was drilling one of the washers and went straight into my finger... Throbbing now, ouch!!

Attachments

• IMG_20190217_113358.jpg
    IMG_20190217_113358.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20190217_133321.jpg
    IMG_20190217_133321.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 135
**** me. Keg policeclapa

We always ask this question when a member posts a picture of a keg obviously people can buy them legitimately but others may not know there are people selling them who have no right to do so.

Keg Watch moitor forums like this and also pay rewards for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of those stealing or owning them illegally.

WELCOME TO KEGWATCH LIMITED.
Each year the brewing industry loses many millions of pounds through the theft and misappropriation of kegs, casks (containers) and dispense gas cylinders. Keg Watch is the organisation committed to reducing these losses.
Keg Watch is a Trade Association limited by guarantee. We represent the interests of over 1000 members from micro to international brewers, cider makers and the major suppliers of dispense gases to the industry.
The aim of this website is to provide information about Keg Watch to licensees, the industry, the police and the public and to raise awareness of the issues involved.
If you are involved in handling stolen kegs, the penalties are severe.
Keg Watch pays rewards for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the theft or unauthorized destruction of containers.
Keg Watch operates a confidential free phone line for any general queries or information you may have, call us on 0808 100 1945.
Are you having problems getting your containers uplifted? Phone Keg Watch now.

https://www.kegwatch.co.uk/

Last edited:
All seems a bit harsh. The man's an amateur brewer (i.e. not flogging watered down gravy browning in a tied house for ridiculous sums) and therefore necessarily beyond reproach. We know this because otherwise the gods would sour his ale! About time said brewing industry charged a proper deposit on their returnables to encourage lazy landlords, or more likely their even lazier employees to look after property which is on loan. There, problem solved. That gonna cause you a problem Tim Martin?
And. He's got a sore finger! Where's the love?

Hi @An Ankoù
Harsh? A warning to the OP can hardly be deemed harsh.
Heineken Brewery keep a record of kegs delivered to customers and empties returned, and discrepencies incur a charge - monthly invoices are sent out.
If I understand you right, it's not a problem for Heineken, then. They're not losing a penny. So let's get the others on board.
I see you describe yourself as "landlord". No offence meant.
There are many places in my old drinking patch that just stack up their empties at the side of the building or in carpark. Even worse are the restaurants. Perhaps with the prices they charge they don't care about returnables.
Compare this with Calor |Gas empties. You buy a bottle of gas, get charged loads for the container and are given a receipt, which, over the years gets lost. Then they won't give you a refund without the receipt so are you going to bother taking it back? There are millions of these empties knocking around, just check Gumtree.
(A quick check on their site shows they're now offering £7.50 for any returns, so they've caught on at last).

Last edited:
Indeed. You would know better than I unless you only deal with Heineken, but the clues were: brewing industry and losing millions.
But we miss the point. I was trying to show a bit of solidarity with the fellow who had just drilled his finger. Imagine this: you post a proud photo of your new Woodford's Wherry kit and the best reply you get is a copy of Wilkinsons' shop-lifting and prosecution notices and a reminder that the chain loses millions every year through theft. Nobody's pointing the finger of suspicion, but there's a shadow of doubt. I'd feel a bit of WTF if it were me.
Nothing more to say on the matter really.

All seems a bit harsh. The man's an amateur brewer

I was trying to show a bit of solidarity with the fellow who had just drilled his finger. Imagine this: you post a proud photo of your new Woodford's Wherry kit and the best reply you get is a copy of Wilkinsons' shop-lifting and prosecution notices

Do you think it's harsh I have pointed out that people buying kegs need to be aware they are likely to be stolen and discussing using them in a forum like this could lead to prosecution?

Your point about certain landlords piling kegs up outside pubs is irrelevant they are there for a reason not so some scum bag can steal them and flog them on to an unsuspecting brewer.

The title landlord is not his profession its the title the forum automatically gives you the more you post you start at "new member" and end "landlord"

Last edited:
Back