hlt temp control?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymondo

Reaction score
i've been thinking about adding temp control to my hlt, its a 50l pot with a 3kw immersion heater. i've found this on ebay and just wanted to check whether its suitable before i buy. :thumb:

Though I use a PID and 2 SSR's myself it's overkill really. However if you decided to use one I'd recommend using a PT100 sensor and compatable PID for improved accuracy at the temperatures we're interested in (k type thermocouples are more suited to higher temps). If I were to do it again I'd probably keep it simple and go for one of THESE.

I use mine with a timer so that when I drag myself out of bed in the morning the water is ready, I mash in, up the setting to sparge temp, take the kids to school, have a coffee then sparge. It's one less thing to have to faff about with.

My probe came from Auberins.com in the U.S. it's liquid tight so no thermowell required, however they're not as cheap as the eBay items.

I use an ST100 same as the one in Keiths post. I just drop the sensor in the water and set it to strike temp +4 deg.
The one you posted seems to be a pid with RELAY o/p not SSD o/p so you would need additional power to supply the SSD.

I have a couple of those probes to try out, once I test one to see how waterproof they are. (one for the hlt and one for the MT)

The one I linked to isn't an STC 1000 even though it looks like one. It heats OR cools and is rated higher than the STC which would be on it's limit running a kettle element.

Latest posts

Back