HLT Temp Controller Diagram

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul3944

Reaction score
Now that I've been banned to the garden for brew days, I'm looking at a better way of controlling my HLT temperatures.

Does anyone have a PID based wiring diagram for 2x Value kettle elements?

I did search but a lot of the older posts have broken links to pictures.

Kind Regards
Paul :thumb:

Not on me, but one problem you'll have is power.

2x elements will need ~20A or more. An extension lead isn't going to deliver that. So you'll need as many leads as you want to have elements. Only way of doing it from a single lead would be to get an electrician to install a 32A socket in the garden.

Otherwise PID driving 2x SSR's in parallel, then 2x single 13A sockets to power 2x elements. Each of the 2x incoming lives goes to one SSR each, then SSR to 13A sockets live terminal, then the neutral terminal to the (correct, don't cross them over) incoming neutral. The PID itself can be powered from one of the incoming feeds as it draws negligible current, just be sure to fuse it correctly as the surge from switching the elements on/off might kill it.

Hmm,
Thanks for pointing out the issue with the power, it Maybe simpler to switch to gas.
I'll have to,give this more thought me thinks😛
Many thanks
Paul

Latest posts

Back