Hobbies.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When you are not brewing what do you like to do with your spare time?

I have a physical job so am a bit of a couch potato, i am a big football fan so am glad the new season has started I also spend a lot of time here doing things behind the scenes which eats up a lot of time.

The floor is yours. :thumb:

Riding my Ducati Monster or out on our narrow boat, plus keeping bees and chickens and a black lab. Of course there's always the never ending job list to complete for SWMBO.
Working in Nigeria, I asked the same question of some of the locals, most answered football, etc but the HSE guy said sleeping, when I explained that this wasn't a hobby he said it was as he really liked doing it.
On another occasion, in our morning meeting I related an instance of a mobile phone that caused a plane seat to catch fire, the cabin crew managed to get it under control. The comment from the same HSE guy was "Wouldn't that be a problem for asthmatics"!!!!! :doh::doh::doh::doh:

I would have thought a burning plane was more of an issue myself.

Brian

I am an avid video gamer on my PS4, although I've been quiet on that front for a wee while what with lack of games that I really like and holidays etc.
All that will change very soon though as Destiny 2 will be released which I'm sure will eat up quite a lot of my time.

I like watching football (Sunderland for my sins). I've not played 5 aside since my son was born 2 years ago because it was early evening and I could never get 2 kids ready for bed and make it in time. Im rubbish at it anyway!

I'm a keen music fan. Thanks to music streaming services I try to listen to 2 new releases a week and I started a music blog at the start of the year. Unfortunately the blog has taken a back seat over the last 3 months whilst work has been hectic, which is a massive shame as it was starting to gain some momentum in getting its name out there. Now things have calmed down, I have a backlog of about 25 albums to write about. My tastes are pretty eclectic. Barenaked Ladies, Ben Folds and Ryan Adams are my favourites but I'm also into a lot of punk, heavy rock, Americana/alt-country, indie and hip hop.

I've recently started weight training again after a 4 year absence. I have a small set up in the garden and follow the Stronglifts programme at the moment.

Spare time, what is that. Oh that thing I had before kids.

Any spare time I have I spend cycling. No better way to de stress and forget about all your worries. I also enjoy reading and read at least an hour a day. I can't go anywhere without taking my kindle incase I have 5 spare minutes to read.

I play the ukulele. On brewdays I combine hobbies and serenade the mash and boil. Last time I didn't do this I ended up ditching the brew so now it's a ritual!

I am an avid video gamer on my PS4, although I've been quiet on that front for a wee while what with lack of games that I really like.

I forgot to add gaming to my OP, like you I haven't bothered for a while as decent games have been thin on the ground I will be buying Uncharted The Lost Legacy next week.

I forgot to add gaming to my OP, like you I haven't bothered for a while as decent games have been thin on the ground I will be buying Uncharted The Lost Legacy next week.

As much as I love the Uncharted games I feel a bit meh about The Lost Legacy and that's probably because Nathan Drake won't be in it. Having said that, I'll probably pick up The Lost Legacy sometime in the future when it reduces in price.

PS4 - playing Battlefield 1 at the moment. Pvt_AK is the gaming name !

Love cooking , ideally outside, I’ve got a pizza oven I use loads, not just for pizza but for smoking and wood fire cooking in general. Did a delicious stuffed meatloaf on Wednesday !

I love walking but after 2 heart attacks in May I’m slowly getting back up to speed on that one !

Technology is a passion - if it’s a gadget I want it !!

Oh and reading - Kindle App on my iPad with Kindle unlimited [emoji106]

Football ⚽️ - Liverpool [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sea Angling is my other big hobby. Been fishing since I was 9 or 10. Another expensive hobby that takes up space lol but I've got to be doing something on a day off!

Hi!
I like reading, especially non-fiction, history being my absolute favourite. My Kindle gets so much hammer that I had to replace it last year.
I was going to build a model railway layout, but as we will be downsizing quite soon, that's on the back burner.
I am working on improving my Spanish - I Skype with a chap who lives in Spain who is trying to improve his English.
I also spend a lot of time surfing the Web and playing games on the iPad.
Apart from that I am a trouser polisher.

A bit wide and varied.

For my sins I don't follow any English Clubs but I have a strong passion for my local team, Glentoran (hence my name) I go to most home games and while the league in general sucks, the games are great and the standard isn't that bad. It's good weekly entertainment.

I love Science/ Astronomy but I'm more of an armchair fan. I own a small telescope and several pairs of binoculars but rarely use them (maybe once per month?)

For the past 10 years I've played profitable online poker. It is more of a hobby but overall I reckon I've net profited (withdrawn) £20,000+. On many sites I've started with very little, in some cases zero and built up funds from there. It is a life drain however, my hourly profit would be pennies/ H. I still play a bit but the game has become harder and sites don't give away as much free money and promotions. Last year, I turned zero at the start of the year into $1,000 withdrawals (most sites play in dollars). I have however lost interest in the game although I still play a little.

I watch very little TV but what has now taken my passion is Android programming. I've always tinkered with computers since my ZX81 days but only in the past few years have I actually taken the time to delve into coding (properly). I struggled at the start but just after XMas everything clicked and last month I released my first app, a Glentoran Fixture List Widget. It's nothing special but it serves a purpose but I have several other apps in development. This now takes up much of my time.

I love education. I'm forever trying to learn new things. I'd listen to 20+ podcasts per week on a variety of subjects. To me there's just not enough hours in a day to do the things I want. I'm forever trying new things, just bought a new Android Phone and my mind is whizzing what I can do with the new features.

Beer making is just a small part of my hobbies, I'd only brew once per month but I check the forum every day.

Golf, watching cricket, baking (bread). Pretty much anything SWMBO (who loves football) moans takes too long to stay interested in.

I've recently started weight training again after a 4 year absence. I have a small set up in the garden and follow the Stronglifts programme at the moment.

I started following the Stronglifts programme a couple of years back but after a while I swapped to the Starting Strength programme by Mark Ripetoe which is what Stronglifts is based on. It's a much better programme and I strongly recommend getting the book, tons of great info from someone who really knows what he's talking about. I saw great gains really quickly, though I haven't been to the gym in a few months, moving house got in the way and haven't got back into it yet.

My other interests are fishing...a bit of an all rounder with this but recent years I've concentrated on fly for trout as it's quick and easy to fit a session in. I have £1000's of carp gear which was mothballed a few years ago as time became difficult with young children...I hope to dust this down later this year..
Metal detecting. ..I just love this! I've found a few interesting bits dating to Roman and medieval times but nothing of any great value...it's great to get out for a quiet wander and try to find some history. I enjoy the research on the land and the things you find and trying to picture what the area was like hundreds or thousands of years ago.
Trying to keep fit...after a total hip replacement three years ago I decided I need to improve myself! I've done regular gym and cycling and definitely improved! I have a few issues with my pelvis moving back to where it should be so have given the gym a break for a few months to let things settle. Overall though I feel great!
Cooking...all sorts of anything but I'm a curry holic!
Allotment...growing vegetables is a great hobby..not buying any is also great!

Back