Hobgoblin Replica

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good, not seen these kits before.

My local shop makes up similar kits - liquid malt extract supplemented by grains and hops, the results are excellent. Let us know how you get on with this.

Looks good, not seen these kits before.

My local shop makes up similar kits - liquid malt extract supplemented by grains and hops, the results are excellent. Let us know how you get on with this.

Hopefully it will be good and close to the original. Looking forward to the end product. Will keep you informed of the ongoings........ :?:

Hobgoblin Replica is now in the FV.

Different to anything i have seen or done before.

Keeping the grains at 66 degrees for 40 minutes is a bit of a pin on a gas range with a dodgy chinese thermometer.... ashock1

Anyway, don't know how it will turn out, followed the instructions to the letter.

Noticed the instruction calls for a pack "D" , dry hop pack which wasn't in the kit. Not sure whether they are supposed to be there as the instruction is generic for the range.
Have emailed and asked but no reply up to now.

To the disgust of some, the instructions say to regularly take SG readings... That means opening the lid before 2 weeks.... aunsure....

Anyway, don't know how it will turn out, followed the instructions to the letter.

To the disgust of some, the instructions say to regularly take SG readings... That means opening the lid before 2 weeks.

If it's any help, your brew has to turn out better than the original! I had my very first (and last) Hobgoblin last week and just didn't like it.

Watching 49'ers v Texans and finished off the last of the "6 x Classic Ales" from Morrisons.

I wish I could say that I had saved the best until last - but I can't 'cos I finished with the Hobgoblin.

The gassiest of the batch, no character and described as a "Ruby Ale" when it's actually a murky brown!

View attachment 15011

Why anyone would want to make a copy of this I do not understand. Sorry! :vomitintoilet:

BTW, I am suitably disgusted that the instructions suggest that you "regularly take SG readings" ...

... but I'm not surprised 'cos they have to do something to make it taste like that! :laugh8: :laugh8:

Drink hobgoblin and king goblin regularly, it is the only ale I really drink now. Bottles or draught.
Liked it for years, even more with a red hot curry on a Friday evening.
Each to their own I guess.

Hobgoblin Replica is now in the FV.

Different to anything i have seen or done before.

Keeping the grains at 66 degrees for 40 minutes is a bit of a pin on a gas range with a dodgy chinese thermometer.... ashock1

Noticed the instruction calls for a pack "D" , dry hop pack which wasn't in the kit. Not sure whether they are supposed to be there as the instruction is generic for the range.
Have emailed and asked but no reply up to now.

To the disgust of some, the instructions say to regularly take SG readings... That means opening the lid before 2 weeks.... aunsure....

If they grains were only specialty grains ( I think when I made my own hobgoblin style one years ago it had crystal and some chocolate malt in maybe), I don't think you have to worry too much about the temp. You're only steeping these grains not mashing them as such..

DId it say what the hops were?? When I did it I used Styrian oldings and fuggles but I have seen some people use Cascade in reicipes.

Sadly it didn't say. Bittering hops, finishing hops were all that were there.
The finishing hops certainly looked like there were 2 x varieties in the packet.
As I said I another post, the Instructions suggest a dry hop pack after 5 days but it isn't there although the instructions are generic for the range.
Have asked the supplier the question though.

So today was the day for bottling the Goblin Clone.
Anyway, all looked good, all smelled good for my partial mash.
The FG was around 1.018, SG was around 1.050.
Abv at 4.2% seems a little low but i think i used too much water topping up the fermenter by around 2 to 3 litres.
The taste is definitely there although maybe a bit thin.
Will see what the next 4 weeks bring at the end of that.
Will i make this again, another definite. but am going to try a Cwytch (i think that is how it is spelled) after the basic bitter which is in now.

Regular clone recipes dont tend to dry hop so you're likely good there. Glad it's looking good. I used to love hobgoblin but got some bottles last year and they tasted very bland and boring. My wife also saw a difference as previously it was too heavy for her and now wasn't. Need to try a clone sometime. Oh and there is a episode of brewing with style where they chat to the brewer and I think a small percentage cascade is used.

It didn't say in the ingredients which hops were used other than Pack "A" etc etc. The flavour and smell are definitely present although the body may be a bit watery so things look promising

My favourite is KingGoblin as opposed to Hobgoblin but i like it and drink it when the King is out of town.

So today was the day for bottling the Goblin Clone.
Anyway, all looked good, all smelled good for my partial mash.
The FG was around 1.018, SG was around 1.050.
Abv at 4.2% seems a little low but i think i used too much water topping up the fermenter by around 2 to 3 litres.
The taste is definitely there although maybe a bit thin.
Will see what the next 4 weeks bring at the end of that.
Will i make this again, another definite. but am going to try a Cwytch (i think that is how it is spelled) after the basic bitter which is in now.
"Cwtch", it's a Welsh word that means "cuddle" or "hug".
The beer of that name is made by Tiny Rebel in Rogerstone near Newport and (in my opinion) is much nicer than Hobgoblin

"Cwtch", it's a Welsh word that means "cuddle" or "hug".
The beer of that name is made by Tiny Rebel in Rogerstone near Newport and (in my opinion) is much nicer than Hobgoblin

I usually try to pick brews going by the reviews they get. Cwtch seems to get good write ups on a lot of selling sites and forums. Will give it a try next.

Latest posts

Back