Hobgoblin Ruby all grain recipe please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobarian

Reaction score
Hello all!

does anyone have a hobgoblin ruby all grain recipe??? Love the real thing and would like to try and brew a clone of it.

A guy called Orfy came up with a clone years ago which people seemed to like, it was discussed here on this forum and google will turn up some other forum discussions of it. Oh, I just found the recipe on Orfy's blog. If I recall there was a brewing network episode of "can you brew it" on the beer.

He doesn't seem to add any cascade but from memory it should be about 20% cascade in the late hops.

Thank you. I just realised I asked the same question back in June. Apologies

No worries, hope you have some success with it. Looks like you responded at the same time as I edited my post, see about about using some cascade hops.

I kegged my Hobgoblish yesterday and had a bit left in the FV for a couple of bottles too. looks ok in the bottle. The recipe is in my brew day thread here: Mark K’s Brewdays
Obviously, I haven’t tasted it yet but if you are prepared to wait a bit I’ll let you know.

C2B5E300-3308-45C9-A4F2-FA838DA5F36F.jpeg

Last edited:
There's various recipes doing the rounds, some use a bit of Cascade and some don't. Although I was surprised to see Cascade in some of the recipes, I made it and it does seem to work.

There's various recipes doing the rounds, some use a bit of Cascade and some don't. Although I was surprised to see Cascade in some of the recipes, I made it and it does seem to work.
I listened to the Can You Brew It episode a few years back where Jamil interviews the brewer from Wychwood and they do use a small proportion of Cascade in the real thing. Quite surprising but that's were it's come from in the clones. All the chat has me wanting to brew one up now since Hobgoblin used to be my favourite beer.

I'm just mashing in now for a hobgoblin ruby red based on the malt miller recipe but using ingredients I have:
90% Maris otter;
5% Pearl;
3% Special X;
2% Carafa Special I (interested to see how this holds up to a chocolate malt).
Safale s-04
Hops: Yakima blend, Cluster Fugget @ 60, 15, 0

Mashing at 66°C. Aiming for:
OG 1.052, FG 1.011, IBU 38

Will let you know how it compares.

Latest posts

Back