Hobgoblin Ruby beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeyboi

Landlord.
Reaction score
I drank one of these the other day and loved it! Thought to myself I've gotta try to make something similar, I know AG would be the best way to go but I'm not there yet. Has anyone brewed a kit/adapted a kit to make something similar? I looked at the cwtch kit as it's a red beer, is it close/similar? Any ideas please.

I drank one of these the other day and loved it! Thought to myself I've gotta try to make something similar, I know AG would be the best way to go but I'm not there yet. Has anyone brewed a kit/adapted a kit to make something similar? I looked at the cwtch kit as it's a red beer, is it close/similar? Any ideas please.

Cwtch is soooooo much better than hobgoblin

St. Peter's Ruby Red came out something similar when I brewed it last spring...I think....I can't re-test the theory, it's all gone. Anyway, it's a good ruby, if you like Hobgoblin, I reckon you'll like St. Peter's.

Yeah, Hobgoblin is nice. My AG clone is going down way too fast. Leon is right, Cwtch is much nicer, but you can't really compare them.

You could do an extract version of Hobgoblin. For 20 litres, steep 400g crystal malt and 100g chocolate malt at 65C for 30 mins, then use that to boil 3kg light DME with 14g EKG and 14g fuggles for 60 mins, then chuck in 16g cascade and 64g styrian goldings 15 mins from the end - chill and ferment with a characterful English yeast, like Burton ale yeast, S04, or Empire ale. If you can't boil the full amount but have a 15L-ish stock pot, then do the boil in that and top up with water in the fv.

Latest posts

Back