Hoddy’s Brewing Odyssey

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I hear you boys talk about these different yeasts and methods and see your kit - I realise I’m so only dipping my toe in the brewing waters at the mo ! Great reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I hear you boys talk about these different yeasts and methods and see your kit - I realise I’m so only dipping my toe in the brewing waters at the mo ! Great reading.
I still feel like that after nearly 100 brews. There's always so much to learn, but that's one of the great things about this hobby... & the beer of course.

I still feel like that after nearly 100 brews. There's always so much to learn, but that's one of the great things about this hobby... & the beer of course.

That does make me think I must count up how many gyles I have racked up.

But I agree, always learning, always looking to improve......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just having a go on your party pale ale Hoddy :cheers7:
It looks very appealing on a warm July evening. The first thing I thought when I smelt it was 'Vermont Yeast'. I might be well off the mark but it had that stone fruit ester thing going on.
This wasn't as evident in the flavour, and it was very quaffable - restrained bitterness, and nicely balanced. Very smooth and no alcohol tastes - how strong is it, and did you use a low mineral water profile? I'd be interested to know the S/C ratio.
The carbonation was a tad low I thought, and it wasn't as hoppy as I was expecting, but I bet this would have gone down well at the party.

Thanks for sending :hat:

Hoddy_pale.jpg

When you sent me a pale ale & a saison I fully expected to like the pale much more than the saison. Its not a style I usually like as I often find them much too spicy/peppery for my tastes. But I've just had your saison and ......WOW. Hand on heart it is the best one I've ever had.
At first I got a slighty sweet citrussy aroma. The carb was much better on this one :thumb: and it had a very slightly sweet malty start that quickly gave way to a dry, tangy finish and nice ligering bitterness.
The peppery yeast character was very mild, and came through a bit more as it warmed - perfect to my tastes.
Cracking beer for a roasting hot evening, and very moreish - lasted about 5 mins
Top pint mate :hat:

Hoddy_saison.jpg

Last edited:
Just having a go on your party pale ale Hoddy :cheers7:
It looks very appealing on a warm July evening. The first thing I thought when I smelt it was 'Vermont Yeast'. I might be well off the mark but it had that stone fruit ester thing going on.
This wasn't as evident in the flavour, and it was very quaffable - restrained bitterness, and nicely balanced. Very smooth and no alcohol tastes - how strong is it, and did you use a low mineral water profile? I'd be interested to know the S/C ratio.
The carbonation was a tad low I thought, and it wasn't as hoppy as I was expecting, but I bet this would have gone down well at the party.

Thanks for sending :hat:

View attachment 14361

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah I think I am still getting the hang of this beer gun. It’s really hard to get the pressure and the keg pressure right to be able to fill a bottle without a ton of waste.

And yes you called it. I used yeast bay liquid Vermont yeast. This was generation 2 I used so it’s starting to really get the character going. I’m looking forward to gen 4 and 5.

S/c ration was quite high at 2.8 as used the BS water calculator using the Brun’water light and hoppy water profile. I think it’s a touch to bitter and should be a bit less mineral’ly if you know what I mean.

Alcohol for this one was only 4.7% as it was supposed to be a summer garden party beer.

Overall it’s not bad, but as you say the hops hadn’t really shone through like they should have and I am racking my brains on how to up the dry hop utilisation.

I’ve got a few ideas I’m gonna try on my next few brews when I get back from summer hols.

It’s not bad for a first version of a beer. A few more recipe revisions needed to get it better. But a good start.

Thanks [emoji1303]

When you sent me a pale ale & a saison I fully expected to like the pale much more than the saison. Its not a style I usually like as I often find them much too spicy/peppery for my tastes. But I've just had your saison and ......WOW. Hand on heart it is the best one I've ever had.
At first I got a slighty sweet citrussy aroma. The carb was much better on this one :thumb: and it had a very slightly sweet malty start that quickly gave way to a dry, tangy finish and nice ligering bitterness.
The peppery yeast character was very mild, and came through a bit more as it warmed - perfect to my tastes.
Cracking beer for a roasting hot evening, and very moreish - lasted about 5 mins
Top pint mate :hat:

View attachment 14376

Thanks for the review dude. It’s been a recipe I must be on rev 6 of now. It’s one a really feel is getting to it’s best.

This one I tried subbing out the caramunich with caramalt to see if it would just add a bit more malt backbone to the beer.

The yeast is my absolute fav of wyeast 3711. With a specific temp profile I ferment it over I’ve managed to get it to be just enough on the pepper side. But not too much like you get with some of the others.

This was the other beer I brewed for the garden party, as you said it’s a winner at 5% on a hot sunny afternoon.

Glad you liked it [emoji1303]

I had the privilege of sampling two of @Hoddy beers last night. Firstly apologise for the lack of photos I had them whilst soaking in the hot tub. Both didn't last long.

First up was the saison and by gosh it's one of the best beers you have sent me. So refreshing. Lovely citrus aromas and flavours. Nice dry finished and a spicy kick from the yeast. I am usually a traditionalist when it comes to saison but loved the citra??? Twist. Carbed up lovely and went down so easily. Send me the recipe please.

Next was the pale ale. Another top beer. Nice and clear. I didn't detect Vermont yeast like dan but was there biscuit malt in there? A perfect pale ale.

Thanks once again.

So I thought I would take advantage of the brewkegtap discount kindly posted by another member.

I’ve had a keg fridge for ages but I’ve never got round to fitting any draft taps..... until now.....

IMG_7055.JPG

I’m absolutely overjoyed with how it’s turned out. The intertap draft taps are absolutely top notch and the long shanks are just the right length. You’ll notice I didn’t end up needing any wooden spacers.

View attachment 14768

Had a bbq this evening and my mates were blown away. They loved it. There is something so satisfying pouring your own beer from a draft tap. Or maybe it was my beers [emoji6]

If you haven’t done it yet then I encourage you to do so. Buy your taps from brewkegtap and get yourself a dispense fridge. Your mates will love you for it.

Last edited:
So I thought I would take advantage of the brewkegtap discount kindly posted by another member.

I’ve had a keg fridge for ages but I’ve never got round to fitting any draft taps..... until now.....

View attachment 14766

I’m absolutely overjoyed with how it’s turned out. The intertap draft taps are absolutely top notch and the long shanks are just the right length. You’ll notice I didn’t end up needing any wooden spacers.

View attachment 14768

Had a bbq this evening and my mates were blown away. They loved it. There is something so satisfying pouring your own beer from a draft tap. Or maybe it was my beers [emoji6]

If you haven’t done it yet then I encourage you to do so. Buy your taps from brewkegtap and get yourself a dispense fridge. Your mates will love you for it.

love the pic athumb.. that's more tidy craft beers on tap than any pub I know in Swansea. I'm well jeal :hat:

Just for effect we have on draft right now

1) Farmhouse Saison
2) Black IPA
3) Vermont Pale Ale
4) Party Pale Ale

Next on draft - Kveik IPA

..all round to Hoddys... we'll soon get rid of that lot!
What's the inside like? Where did you get your "stuff" from?
Edit...found it! Doesn't seem half bad...a two keg kegerator set up for £200...

Last edited:
..all round to Hoddys... we'll soon get rid of that lot!
What's the inside like? Where did you get your "stuff" from?
Edit...found it! Doesn't seem half bad...a two keg kegerator set up for £200...

Yeah I got the draft taps using the discount code and got all 4 taps with shanks and JG fitting, and handles for £115 which is a TOTAL BARGIN!!!

IMG_7058.JPG

I've got kegs from the homebrew company when they do used keg deals of 4 / 6 at a time.

Obvs piping is just piping but I've found that the homebrew tap guy on Ebay is the best supplier as I can get all the pipes, disconnects at a great price.

Then voila, instant drinking problem [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back