Hoddy’s Brewing Odyssey

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the whirlpool hop stand is underway.

I’ve mentioned I’m thinking and trying new ways to maximise my hope utilisation in aroma and flavour.

Latest one is the mods I’ve done to be able to pump a whirlpool in my BM and then also to be able to recirc the hot wort through the spider in the hop stand.

IMG_7080.JPG

Voila [emoji1303]

I’m doing a 30 main stand and then I will stick the pipe and fitting down the side to create a whirlpool as I’m chilling. Hopefully it should speed up the chilling process as well.

I’ll report back after another beer....... [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So that’s the brew day done. Went without hitch and the whirlpool I’ve put together seems to have worked nicely.

IMG_7081.JPG

Hit the final OG number and total volume.

IMG_7082.JPG

Into the new (free) brew fridge she goes with a big yeast starter thrown in. Hopefully should see activity by midday tomorrow.

150g dry hop at high Krausen and then a second dry hop at 250g at the end of fermentation [emoji1303]

Did you rub yours down as a key for the first coat? I'm thinking that might be a good idea as I'm not using a primer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QU
I read somewhere that it’s a good idea so I tried it on one side and did a couple test patchs, couldn’t tell the difference tbh

So after my brew day today I tried my first attempt using the kveik yeast kindly donated by @BeerCat.

A cascade and lemon drop juicy banger is the only word I can use to describe it. I’m getting the orange from the yeast, but I think it needs a bit more conditioning and now I’m drinking it I think I can see what I need to do with this recipe to improve it.

IMG_7083.JPG

But I think guests will enjoy this on tap no4 when they visit.

I was lucky enough to be sent a beer from my good friend @dan125

IMG_7085.JPG

A lovely rich American pale ale. No sense of booziness (maybe a slight alcohol aroma as it warms up) but no detectable off flavours that I can pick out.

The flavour and aroma is a really nice orange, over ripe mango and pineapple with a deep orange colour. Very soft in the mouth with plenty of body but with just enough dryness to be a APA.

Not a massive head on this beer, but enough to match the beer and the carbonation. I don’t think its a problem for this beer. People needlessly get a bit to hung up on that sometimes.

It tastes like there is maltyness in the background of this beer. I just can’t quite pick it out. Something more than just pale malt, Munich and crystal.

I really like the hop combo but I think this base could carry more hops. But maybe that’s just me [emoji6] I can’t pick out the hops you used tho.

All in all a great beer once again [emoji1303]

Last edited:

View attachment 14905

A lovely rich American pale ale. No sense of booziness (maybe a slight alcohol aroma as it warms up) but no detectable off flavours that I can pick out.

The flavour and aroma is a really nice orange, over ripe mango and pineapple with a deep orange colour. Very soft in the mouth with plenty of body but with just enough dryness to be a APA.

Not a massive head on this beer, but enough to match the beer and the carbonation. I don’t think its a problem for this beer. People needlessly get a bit to hung up on that sometimes.

It tastes like there is maltyness in the background of this beer. I just can’t quite pick it out. Something more than just pale malt, Munich and crystal.

I really like the hop combo but I think this base could carry more hops. But maybe that’s just me [emoji6] I can’t pick out the hops you used tho.

I was also lucky enough to have been sent a bottle of dans APA. I was a bit tipsy when I drank it though so can't give it such a thorough review as you, other than it was bloody brilliant. I had it side by side with one of my beers, and they were very similar. They were identical in colour and appearance. My beer had Munich and a little crystal in it so you might be spot on.

Thanks Hoddy - you're right about the maltyness. I didn't want to use any crystal, but there is a good dose of Vienna & 5% Simpsons Imperial malt.
the hops are mainly citra & denali, with a dash of nelson in the dry hop.
I'm rebrewing this next brewday & will hopefully improve the clarity a little at least :laugh8:

Thanks Hoddy - you're right about the maltyness. I didn't want to use any crystal, but there is a good dose of Vienna & 5% Simpsons Imperial malt.
the hops are mainly citra & denali, with a dash of nelson in the dry hop.
I'm rebrewing this next brewday & will hopefully improve the clarity a little at least :laugh8:

Ahh it’s that imperial malt that was giving it that body that I could pick out.

And also it was the Denali I couldn’t pick out either. There was something different in there.

Personally I wouldn’t change the clarity. I think it suits the beer nicely, body, touch of sweetness, and a good dose of hops. All good in my book.

So the yeast has taken off like a rocket since I pitched at 8pm yesterday. It’s taken off that fast I’ve decided to add the first biotransformation dry hop tonight.

IMG_7095.JPG

100g of citra, 100g of galaxy, and 30g of nelson sauvin.

So the yeast has taken off like a rocket since I pitched at 8pm yesterday. It’s taken off that fast I’ve decided to add the first biotransformation dry hop tonight.

100g of citra, 100g of galaxy, and 30g of nelson sauvin.

Going big - I like it athumb..
Are you increasing the 2nd dry hop too, or have you evened out the additions? I was interested to hear Randy Mosher say they use around a third (I think it was) of the dry hops at the bio-transformation stage, on the recent beersmith podcast about NEIPA.

the kegerator looks great by the way - I used some blackboard vinyl on mine (liquid chalk pens leave a faint permanent mark on it BTW) but yours looks loads better with the all over black look :hat:

I decided at the last minute to just dump the whole packs of citra and galaxy in. I mean why not......best not have half open packets of hops.

So i think i will just stick with the 100g of each again at the second dry hop (in addition to the Nelson Sauvin) and see how it turns out. That will be a 20g/litre hop rate in this beer.

I decided at the last minute to just dump the whole packs of citra and galaxy in. I mean why not......best not have half open packets of hops.

So i think i will just stick with the 100g of each again at the second dry hop (in addition to the Nelson Sauvin) and see how it turns out. That will be a 20g/litre hop rate in this beer.

That is a colossal dry hop athumb..clapa:hat:abigt
I put about 9g/L total dry hop in my latest NEIPA & I'm struggling to imagine double the hoppiness :laugh8:

So the final dry hop of the DDH NEIPA went in tonight with another 100g of citra and 100g of galaxy. That brings the dry hop ratio to 18g/L.

That’ll be left and roused every 24 hours with co2 and then kegged in 4 days.

In addition to swapping with my usual buddies I may be looking to swap a bottle or two with someone else with something else similarly crazy.

Latest posts

Back