Hoddy’s Brewing Odyssey

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do u mean roused every 24hrs with co2?

Two things. a) when you pressurise the HS with 0.7 bar for 24hrs and then release the pressure to 0.2 bar quickly the release of co2 stirs up everything while not releasing all of it and letting o2 in.

b) I’ve adapted the barb and bottle filler attachment that comes with the HS and I’m gonna try giving the HS a blast of co2 from the bottom (via the butterfly valve) to see if that also does give the contents a good stir.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What size did you drill the hole for the tap shank? I am impressed with the quality of the tap.

I did the exact diameter and used a 21mm metal hole saw. But looking back I would recomend using a 25mm instead as that would mean you would be able to get them through comfortably. Just have a timber plank to hand in case the taps need the support at the rear of the door if the door flexes when you fit and test the taps.

I did that for mine but ended up not needing it as the door was quite strong and thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What size did you drill the hole for the tap shank? I am impressed with the quality of the tap.

Oh yes the intertap draft taps are head and shoulders better quality than the unnamed ones you can get. I don't see the pony in the extra cost for a SS one as the chromes ones do fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Popped into Waitrose Petersfield today after getting my hair cut and stumbled across these reduced to clear beauties.

IMG_7132.JPG

At £1.70 each why not fill yer arms with as much as you can carry [emoji1303]

I was lucky enough to get sent a beer by @BeerCat which is a lovely lager.

IMG_7117.JPG

This was a really nice lager. Plenty of body, a great head and lacing all the way though the beer. While being just dry enough.

The lager even had that slight sulphur aroma about it. But that’s ok because it’s supposed to and kinda makes the lager right.

I really enjoyed drinking this beer and I couldn’t fault it. The only thing I would change would be to take The el-dorado out of the hop combo in it. I don’t think el-dorado work in a crisp light beer like this. The citra on its own would be perfectly fine.

All in all a great beer and wonderful to drink something that’s not a IPA for a change.

Thanks @BeerCat [emoji1303]

I was lucky enough to get sent a beer by @BeerCat which is a lovely lager.

View attachment 15111

This was a really nice lager. Plenty of body, a great head and lacing all the way though the beer. While being just dry enough.

The lager even had that slight sulphur aroma about it. But that’s ok because it’s supposed to and kinda makes the lager right.

I really enjoyed drinking this beer and I couldn’t fault it. The only thing I would change would be to take The el-dorado out of the hop combo in it. I don’t think el-dorado work in a crisp light beer like this. The citra on its own would be perfectly fine.

All in all a great beer and wonderful to drink something that’s not a IPA for a change.

Thanks @BeerCat [emoji1303]

Thanks for the feedback Hoddy, glad you liked it. Will try next without the el dorado. Not sure why but the bottles didn't seem to clear like the keg. Going to order a growler spout and try bottling with that. Cheers

Yours had cleared nicely as i had it in my main fridge for a good 2 weeks and it was nice and cold just like it should be. I could just pick out the eldorado hops. They are kinda candy/sweet like in flavor (to me anyway) and i didn't think in your lager it added anything more than your lager already had. I use Eldorado in super juicy pale ales and IPA's.

Like i said if you replaced all of that with more Citra or with say some Hallertau Hersbruker or Saaz i think it would be even better IMHO and it was pretty good to start with athumb..

Very happy with my tap. What is most impressive is when you turn it off only one drop of beer comes out. Zero dripping. I have seen stout connectors by wondered if it would make much difference as I am serving with 3/16th's pipe?
Also what do you think of the flow controlled version? Perhaps pointless as I have a low flow rate already?

Very happy with my tap. What is most impressive is when you turn it off only one drop of beer comes out. Zero dripping. I have seen stout connectors by wondered if it would make much difference as I am serving with 3/16th's pipe?
Also what do you think of the flow controlled version? Perhaps pointless as I have a low flow rate already?
I agree. They are great. And yes your right, I think that shows the quality of the forward sealing taps that you literally only get one little drip post pour.

Not had one of the flow control ones. But I have tried pouring a stout or a porter through it yet. My black ipa does fine though so I dont see the need.

24E573A2-6D75-4B2F-A5F8-EA53C6234F27.jpeg
So I went into my local M&S yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised to see a load of new beers on their shelves.

More importantly it looks like they are starting to stock mikkeller beers

First one tonight is a lush passion fruit Berliner Weiss.

More beers to follow......

£2.50 a can admittedly.

But I got the Berliner, stick a finger in the soil (Pale Ale), and hair in the mail box (IPA) all in M&S yesterday.

They also started stocking a pale ale and an IPA by Norwegian brewery and sweet action by six point. The beer called Lorita (IPA) and Sita (pale ale) are from the same Norwegian brewery called bryggert.

£2.50 a can admittedly.

But I got the Berliner, stick a finger in the soil (Pale Ale), and hair in the mail box (IPA) all in M&S yesterday.

They also started stocking a pale ale and an IPA by Norwegian brewery and sweet action by six point. The beer called Lorita (IPA) and Sita (pale ale) are from the same Norwegian brewery called bryggert.
Will have a look in my local store next time I am there.

£2.50 isn't bad for a mikkeller

DD547E80-C99A-40EC-A9C5-A21FCC3C0819.jpeg
B4CA9C19-CDAA-490D-A717-C5594D973F9D.jpeg
E769166B-6C78-4295-A087-9D8413B002E4.jpeg
6D3445B0-2CB1-4C1F-AF6B-B82A6571BFCC.jpeg
34B0A1B7-FBB1-4B05-8F0A-A9FD36DC1605.jpeg
E9F8E241-3992-4E9C-A276-B98296C697C1.jpeg
CF8EFAE0-2D30-41C7-8B69-66717D856F35.jpeg
49D1FDEF-C01F-4F51-B1C4-117EFB893278.jpeg
45B51729-4117-4A35-A609-F3CECCC343EC.jpeg
6D3445B0-2CB1-4C1F-AF6B-B82A6571BFCC.jpeg
34B0A1B7-FBB1-4B05-8F0A-A9FD36DC1605.jpeg

Brew day today. Another hazed IPA, but this time with a citrus theme of Citra and cascade.

It was a lovely sunny day so why not brew

Brew day went well. I was trying to max out the strike water and grain bill volumes today. Weirdly I managed to undershoot my target numbers by 4 pts today. Just made no sense......

Got 25 litres in the fermenter in the end and pitched a big starter of London fog ale.

I filled time between mash and boiling with finishing the staining of the beer verandah decking. Even with a bad back I’m still trying to complete that fecking thing.

Now I’ve got the steps up into the brew cave it all is so much easier and makes so much more sense. Especially in weather like today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back