Hods brew shed build phase 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoddy

General lurker.......
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I thought I would start a separate thread to detail the route to phase 2 of the Hod’s brew shed build.

Phase two is to include the build of the access steps (finally) up to the brew shed, a new patio area, and the build of a new timber framed and roofed BBQ/seating/drinking deck area that I’m going to build opposite the brew shed so I can sit outside and enjoy the beers I brewed in my brew shed.

I hope to be able to chart my progress just like I did when I built and showed in my last “big build” thread.

So here’s the brew shed and the existing mess that accompanies it shown from a few angles.

IMG_7148.JPG

IMG_7150.JPG

IMG_7151.JPG

IMG_7153.JPG

IMG_7152.JPG

Hopefully it gives an idea of the task I’ve set myself to achieve over the next 4 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a fine area to put up a shelter and a BBQ area! Good luck with the "4 weeks" though!

First thing I did when I built the Lean-To at the end of the garage was to rig a washing line up in between the rafters and got rid of the Whirly-Gig thingy that squeaked in the wind and just about took my eye out when it was at the right height for SWMBO to hang out washing.

The joy of the new arrangement is that:
  • It's pulled up and out of the way when it's not in use.
  • It's under cover and can be used all year round rain and shine.
  • Any washing that happens to be out when visitors arrive can be whipped away in seconds; even by me!
Looking forward to seeing the finished article! athumb..

.....not leather thongs are they?
:laugh8:

I can't even stand the thongs that go between your toes on Flip-Flops!

Old men wearing thongs are not a pretty sight ... :vomitintoilet:

... and I will never understand how any man (young or old) would want to try and slice himself in two with a length of string stuck up the crack of his bum!

The mind boggles! aheadbutt

Ok a few things here,

Yes this may seem a bit extreme. But hey why not [emoji23]

Duttos leather jockstrap hanging on a line has just given me the jitters....

I need somewhere to enjoy my freshly poured, cold draft home brew taken from my newly built kegerator.

But believe me it’s gonna be a stretch to get it all done, and my back might be knackered afterwards, but I’m banking on a few weeks of an Indian summer to enjoy this year and then I’m planning to fully utilise it next spring/summer.

Is phase 3 an outside loo?

Ha ha ha you might laugh. Phase 3 is an actual extension which will then extend the kitchen and the bottom of the first picture.

I’m not going to attack steps down in the phase as I’m waiting to hear what the planning permission will accept and what the actual extension design overall is going to end up like.

I don't think I explained the clothes-line very well so here's a couple of photographs for you to run past SWMBO.

It isn't in use so the line is up out of the way.

The first photograph shows the start of the clothes line and the fact that it runs backwards and forwards across the lean-to to give the length required. i.e. three times.

IMG_0842.jpg

The second photograph shows where it is terminated (on the left hand side where the Peg-Bag is located). The line can be lowered for pegging and raised when drying or when it's not in use.

IMG_0837.jpg

SWMBO reckons that it beats the hell out of one of those "whirly-gig" thingies because it can be used in all weathers (she doesn't even get wet when pegging stuff out in the rain) and can be taken up into the eaves when not in use.

It works so well that in the last two years we have used the electric drier for less than four hours! athumb..

BTW, please ignore the rubbish in the photos. SWMBO has decided that the garden needed a Spring Clean-Out! aheadbutt

I don't think I explained the clothes-line very well so here's a couple of photographs for you to run past SWMBO.

It isn't in use so the line is up out of the way.

The first photograph shows the start of the clothes line and the fact that it runs backwards and forwards across the lean-to to give the length required. i.e. three times.

View attachment 15222

The second photograph shows where it is terminated (on the left hand side where the Peg-Bag is located). The line can be lowered for pegging and raised when drying or when it's not in use.

View attachment 15223

SWMBO reckons that it beats the hell out of one of those "whirly-gig" thingies because it can be used in all weathers (she doesn't even get wet when pegging stuff out in the rain) and can be taken up into the eaves when not in use.

It works so well that in the last two years we have used the electric drier for less than four hours! athumb..

BTW, please ignore the rubbish in the photos. SWMBO has decided that the garden needed a Spring Clean-Out! aheadbutt

Thats really interesting Dutto. That looks like a very similar concept that i am planning on building for opposite the brew shed. So do you find that use it much? Have you found it useful?

Plus thats a smart idea with the clothes line. I will run that past the boss.

Oh, "Do we use it?" meaning the lean-to? Absolutely and all year round! athumb..

If it isn't raining, we take guests out there and use the BBQ or smoker to cook for them ...

... and if it is raining then I use it to keep the rain off the BBQ or smoker. :laugh8:

I also brew underneath it winter and summer alike and also (not trusting the weather) I make sure that the Smoker goes under it for long (sometimes up to 12 hours) smokes!

No complaints in my house about messing up the kitchen or smelling out the house ... athumb..

... I just let the neighbours worry about it! clapa

Oh, "Do we use it?" meaning the lean-to? Absolutely and all year round! athumb..

If it isn't raining, we take guests out there and use the BBQ or smoker to cook for them ...

... and if it is raining then I use it to keep the rain off the BBQ or smoker. :laugh8:

I also brew underneath it winter and summer alike and also (not trusting the weather) I make sure that the Smoker goes under it for long (sometimes up to 12 hours) smokes!

No complaints in my house about messing up the kitchen or smelling out the house ... athumb..

... I just let the neighbours worry about it! clapa

Yup you guessed it thats what i was really asking :laugh8:

But that has just confirmed my way of thinking that building this covered drinking area is the right thing to do athumb..

Thanks

Tell her it's a gazebo...women love such things.

Back in the 50's, when some people started to get pretentious, my Godfather built a Conservatory on the side of his house; and at that time very few people had one!

He was very proud of his Conservatory and every time he visited (which was often) he would explain the benefits of having a Conservatory; how it kept the house warm, how it was like having a greenhouse in the house, how he and his wife sat out there to enjoy the benefits etc etc etc.

In other words, he became a right bore, until the time he visited and my Granddad was there. Before he could open his mouth Granddad said "Ah see tha's got a lean-to at t'side o' th'house Alan. It looks fair neat that!"

Alan daren't explain it was a conservatory and I never heard him use the word ever again. I reckon he knew damned fine that it he ever mentioned a conservatory, it would be translated into "Lean-to" by everyone in our family.

The house (now minus the Lean-To) is on the main Mansfield to Pleasley road and I smile at the memory every time I pass it.

Happy Days! clapa clapa

3854AE64-5BD3-4B28-8533-AFD74C42609C.jpeg
48A57121-1B95-4A4F-8EE8-09911F2B0763.jpeg
485CBD94-33C9-49AB-8B00-8ADC6F14B274.jpeg
78AF8FAE-AE38-4E62-9655-88F2D1A543E2.jpeg
So we are making a bit of progress clearing everything. Since the bank holiday weekend (the first pictures are taken the previous weekend) so starting to find the horrors that are hidden beneath the worst workman ship I’ve found since I took this house in 6 years ago.

Over the next week or two it’s all gonna be about getting a level and quality basis and datum to start to work up from. At least once I know where we are at I can sink the posts for the steps up to the brewshed and work from there.

Last edited:
Is there a thread about phase 1? I’d be interested to see it, might show the wife and see if I can get a brew shed at the new house!

......... might show the wife and see if I can get a brew shed at the new house!

As a long time married man, I will rephrase that to reflect what you actually mean.

" ... will show the wife the type of brew shed I will be getting at the new house!"

However, think on lad! It will only makes sense if Hoddy's Brew Shed is bigger than the one you want! clapa

Latest posts

Back