Hola from London!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmio

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My wife told me last January -Hey, why don't we try to brew beer?

5 weeks ago, we brewed our first ever beer!

A simple English Ale with Maris Otter and Crystal 240 malts, East Kent Goldings and Fuggle hops and Safale S-04 yeast. Living in a small flat, we went for the BIAB method with no sparge, ending with 7 litres of delicious bitter.

Well, maybe not so delicious...

Brew day and bottling day 2 weeks later were fun. No panic attacks, no boil overs or too much cleaning at the end of the day.

However...... I messed up the recipe calculations, which should have had a significant higher amount of grains...

The beer (our beer!) is still drinkable and will be drunk, but already thinking on the next batch. This Sunday is Brew Day!

Cheers everyone!

Welcome to the forum and hobby. You will improve especially with the knowledge around

Welcome to the forum. Fellow London (SE) brewer here :)

Hello everyone!

My wife told me last January -Hey, why don't we try to brew beer?

5 weeks ago, we brewed our first ever beer!

A simple English Ale with Maris Otter and Crystal 240 malts, East Kent Goldings and Fuggle hops and Safale S-04 yeast. Living in a small flat, we went for the BIAB method with no sparge, ending with 7 litres of delicious bitter.

Well, maybe not so delicious...

Brew day and bottling day 2 weeks later were fun. No panic attacks, no boil overs or too much cleaning at the end of the day.

However...... I messed up the recipe calculations, which should have had a significant higher amount of grains...

The beer (our beer!) is still drinkable and will be drunk, but already thinking on the next batch. This Sunday is Brew Day!

Cheers everyone!
Hi J

The beer or you will be drunk?

If you bottled 3 weeks ago - and assuming you bottled conditioned - the beer has only been conditioning for about a week - it's still green beer and will not taste ready because it isn't. Did you allow time for it to secondarily ferment?

What are you using to produce your recipes?

What style of beer do you want to brew on Sunday? I'll see if I have a recipe

Hey @Obadiah Boondoggle!

Lol! Probably both will be true at some point 😅

We left it 2 weeks in the fermenter (after just 5 days the SG reached and remained at ~1.008, but read that wouldn't cause any harm leaving it until the end of the second week), then conditioned and bottled for, now, 3 weeks. We just opened a couple of bottles to try it, but we'll leave most of the remaining ones for much longer

I am using the Brewfather app. My equipment profile was wrong when calculating the water volumes, which ended with just 1,5kg of grains on almost 14l of water. We want to 'fix' the recipe and brew it again this Sunday to try to notice the differences between both beers, as a kind of learning process. Created another post yesterday to check the current recipe for this weekend

We've got Maris Otter (~3.5kg), Crystal 240 (~800g), Crystal 100 and Chocolate (1kg each), and a bit of Abbey malt and CaraMunich to try a Belgian ale in the future. My wife is a big fan of Fuller's ESB, London Pride, DoomBar, so we are heading in this direction (not trying to duplicate them -yet-) before continuing exploring Porters, German Weizens and who knows what, as it will be like 2025 by then, hehehe

Any suggestion is very welcome!

Last night I oppened a bottle conditioned beer after 11 days in bottle, it was quite nice. I will open others every 7 days or so to see if I can detect any improvement. (bottled 6 days after yeast pitch)

Back