Holiday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the guardian it was a lack of staff that caused the backlog.

ā€œBlame the other guy.ā€ be it Workers, Immigrants, Covid, the French, Brexit etc etc itā€™s getting ridiculous!

Itā€™s as if nowadays nothing can be foreseen and plans put in place for when it happens!

The French have always hated us and now even more for Brexit... they are doing it on purpose.

A typical ā€œBlame the other guy!ā€

If they really hate us why the hell are we relying on them?
:hat:

ā€œBlame the other guy.ā€ be it Workers, Immigrants, Covid, the French, Brexit etc etc itā€™s getting ridiculous!

Itā€™s as if nowadays nothing can be foreseen and plans put in place for when it happens!
The people there said 4 of the 9 booths were empty which begs the question why on the busiest day of the year, they were reporting facts not trying to stir up the brexit debate.

The people there said 4 of the 9 booths were empty which begs the question why on the busiest day of the year, they were reporting facts not trying to stir up the brexit debate.
I reiterate my previous question!

If the French are so bad why are we relying on them?

Coming back from France last year the queue to get through UK Border Control stretched back to the ship!

Maybe they didnā€™t have enough staff or (more likely ā€˜cos I saw no changes) the fact that they now had to check and stamp ALL non-British Passports had caught them out?

I reiterate my previous question!

If the French are so bad why are we relying on them?

Coming back from France last year the queue to get through UK Border Control stretched back to the ship!

Maybe they didnā€™t have enough staff or (more likely ā€˜cos I saw no changes) the fact that they now had to check and stamp ALL non-British Passports had caught them out?
Rely on the French for what?
How could having to check passports catch them out? They've known what was coming since the referendum in 2016. Plenty of time to plan for it.

Having retired from my previous job due to good health I have been keen to catch up on holidays lost to covid. Went Newcastle to ijmuiden in April came back via eurotunnel and taking ET both ways to switzerland in September. Not flying for another year by which time covid/ staffing issues for flying should be managable. I always avoid travel hotspots when the sheeple are travelling.

Sometimes this needs a bit of planning as we often stay on a sunday night in hotels where its usually far cheaper but you have to check places you want to visit are open.

Brexit is the reason they need more staff in French passport control, but lack of planning is the reason they haven't got them

Spot on and knowing how busy the weekend was going to be it makes me wonder why they didn't have the staff

Maybe they didnā€™t have enough staff or (more likely ā€˜cos I saw no changes) the fact that they now had to check and stamp ALL non-British Passports had caught them out
So they knew there was a problem last year and as already been said they are still understaffed on the French side, bad planning as pointed out or sour grapes.

So far this year i have had 3 staycations and one to come in September, no hold ups and great weather to, as for the French i love em and their wonderful quirky folk viva la france i say, The atlantic coast in Vendee is lovely as is the masif central o and Brittany spent wonderful times when i was younger touring on my motorcycle love St Malo

So they knew there was a problem last year and as already been said they are still understaffed on the French side, bad planning as pointed out or sour grapes.
Er ā€¦ the French didnā€™t ask us to leave the EU, so any bad planning has to be down to the Brit that convinced the ā€œLeaveā€ voters that he had an ā€œOven Ready Brexitā€!

Er ā€¦ the French didnā€™t ask us to leave the EU, so any bad planning has to be down to the Brit that convinced the ā€œLeaveā€ voters that he had an ā€œOven Ready Brexitā€!
So its the majority who voted for Brexit who are at fault for them not staffing the empty boots and causing this chaos, you really do need to give your head a wobble.

No, if as a consequence of the UK leaving the EU the French want to check the passports of UK citizens entering France then it's up to the French government to plan for that. There is nothing the UK can do about it.

So its the majority who voted for Brexit who are at fault for them not staffing the empty boots and causing this chaos, you really do need to give your head a wobble.
Put it this way, for about 40 years we had little or no trouble going to and from Europe then the British people decided to change things; and since this time weā€™ve had problems.

Now, who is to blame for the problems? Is it:
  1. The people who voted to let things stay as they were?
  2. The people who voted to change things?
  3. Someone else? (If so then who?)

PS
Head is shaking from side to side in disbelief, rather than ā€œwobblingā€!

Now, who is to blame for the problems? Is it:
  1. The people who voted to let things stay as they were?
  2. The people who voted to change things?
  3. Someone else? (If so then who?)

The rules changed due to Brexit it wasn't a secret that we decided to let them into a couple of weeks ago, they knew how busy it was going to be last weekend they decided not to man all the booths which has been blamed for causing the problem and you think the blame lies with the people that voted Brexit aheadbutt the blame lies solely with the French for not manning the booths.

Lets go round again ringing in my ears?

Last edited:
The thing that gets me is that people were told 5 years ago that Brexit would result in long queues at Dover. And now people are surprised and angry when there are long queues at Dover.
So why didn't they get the ferry from somewhere else?

They were told five years ago that there would be queues at Dover. They chose to sail from Dover when they could have used another port. So why are they surprised and angry?

There's a logical inconsistency here somewhere.
Either that or people are just plain stupid.

Back