Holiday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd imagine if there are votes in it, there may be a referendum to rejoin in the future.
Was this version of Brexit the one that was proposed buring the referendum.
Or did Boris do a solo run?
We were told all sorts of nonsense and none of it had any relationship with reality. We were told we’d stay in the customs union and single market, we were told that Turkey was on the brink of joining the EU and we’d be flooded with millions of misogynistic Turkish men, we were told that there’d be no upheaval and we’d carry on trading with Europe as before, they need us more than we need them and so on. Of course the whole thing has turned out to be a massive poo sandwich and when pushed for any tangible benefits to ordinary people, all that those who were in favour of it can say is “you lost, get over it”.

At the end of the day Camo called our bluff and lost big time owd macaroni in France won't make that mistake he knows it will be a big fat yes, as will Holland and Denmark, the reason the older end voted leave they have brains and know the dirty slimy tricks of westminster, we left we ani't going back lets see what we can achieve Brits are famous the world over for getting off their arses and driving forward

all that those who were in favour of it can say is “you lost, get over it”.

The reason being there is no point in discussing it its been done to death and nothing is going to change, whenever a person that voted leave gave a reason (in those threads mentioned below) they got shot down they were told they were wrong and worse *i have lost count of how many Brexit threads we removed because of it it at the end of the day you voted for whichever Brexit you wanted i doubt many who voted leave have been persuaded they were wrong by threads like this!

*It will be a shame if this one is another added to the list for the same reasons!

Last edited:
Was this version of Brexit the one that was proposed buring the referendum.
Nothing like it. We were told we would still have freedom of movement (we don't), we would be in the single market (we aren't), there wouldn't be any border queues (there are), we could have hundreds of trade deals within the first year (we don't, and I've never heard anyone care about trade deals anyway). It was just a big pack of lies.

Nothing like it. We were told we would still have freedom of movement (we don't), we would be in the single market (we aren't), there wouldn't be any border queues (there are), we could have hundreds of trade deals within the first year (we don't, and I've never heard anyone care about trade deals anyway). It was just a big pack of lies.
The biggest mistake this country has made since 1066. When we went chasing Vikings in Yorkshire rather than defending the south coast.

Never mind. We had to put up with people moaning and lying about being in the EU for 47 years. Only another 45 to go.
So the way referendums are run is you vote once and then that's it.
No more debate or arguments?
No comebacksies?

Is England's democracy run by teenagers or angry old men?

The reason being there is no point in discussing it its been done to death and nothing is going to change, whenever a person that voted leave gave a reason they got shot down they were told they were wrong and worse *i have lost count of how many Brexit threads we removed because of it it at the end of the day you vote for whichever Brexit you wanted i doubt many who voted leave have been persuaded they were wrong by threads like this!

*It will be a shame if this one is another added to the list for the same reasons!
I’m not shooting anyone down. All I ask, all I’ve ever asked, is for someone to give me tangible benefits for leaving. Jacob Rees Mogg said we could wait for 50 years to see any benefits. That’s just a joke, most of us, including those who voted to leave, won’t be around in 50 years so what’s the point. In addition to that, as recent events have shown, we don’t know what’s going to happen 50 weeks down the line let alone 50 years!

I realise that you and I have different opinions on this, but I don’t think that I or anyone else, is being unreasonable by asking how we are supposed to benefit. Especially when you consider that so far it’s caused nothing but problems.

So the way referendums are run is you vote once and then that's it.
No more debate or arguments?
No comebacksies?

Is England's democracy run by teenagers or angry old men?
So Scotland can’t have a second referendum? The Brexit referendum was not the first it was the second, the first one was in the 70’s and I voted stay. We’re not England we’re the UK.

So Scotland can’t have a second referendum? The Brexit referendum was not the first it was the second, the first one was in the 70’s and I voted stay. We’re not England we’re the UK.
Nope.

We had several referendums in Ireland over the same topic.

Most recently Abortion rights.

Views change in a country as demographics change.

Hmm.
I'm sat reading this & I can't help feeling that one our admin/moderators is particularly sensitive to these issues.

All I can see is that this issue is very device for all the usuall reasons.
It's not just on here, I see the family splits between children, parents & grandparents caused by this.
I think you’re right. Whichever side of the fence you sit this is arguably the most divisive issue since the civil war albeit without such tragic consequences. It’s certainly damaged many friendships and family relationships.

I don’t think that I or anyone else, is being unreasonable by asking how we are supposed to benefit. Especially when you consider that so far it’s caused nothing but problems.

Ask away though don't be surprised if no one answers for the reasons i posted earlier (see quote below)

I hope I am still around In 10 years to see if leaving was the best option.

The reason being there is no point in discussing it its been done to death and nothing is going to change, whenever a person that voted leave gave a reason (in those threads mentioned below) they got shot down they were told they were wrong and worse *i have lost count of how many Brexit threads we removed because of it it at the end of the day you voted for whichever Brexit you wanted i doubt many who voted leave have been persuaded they were wrong by threads like this!

Last edited:
The biggest mistake this country has made since 1066. When we went chasing Vikings in Yorkshire rather than defending the south coast
100% agreement with that. What was the point of chasing the Dane's out of Yorkshire/Northumbria. Then let the Norse/Franks & Irish come In through The Back Door.

As Tom Paine said England has not had an English King since 1066

I know this Is totally irrevelvant to the OP but I'd thought I'd put It out there.

Thats what half a bottle of Vodka does to you at 15.00 in the afternoon.:coat:

100% agreement with that. What was the point of chasing the Dane's out of Yorkshire/Northumbria. Then let the Norse/Franks & Irish come In through The Back Door.

As Tom Paine said England has not had an English King since 1066

I know this Is totally irrevelvant to the OP but I'd thought I'd put It out there.

Thats what half a bottle of Vodka does to you at 15.00 in the afternoon.:coat:
While I'm sure as in most wars there was some Irish involvement, I think on this occasion, they were on Harold's side rather than William's
https://ansionnachfionn.com/2016/10...s-and-the-irish-exile-of-the-english-princes/

1066? so what's the significance in that date? Only affected 1 of the home nations. Ah the one that voted to leave.

60% turn out pretty good? Maybe for England.
84.6% for the Scottish referendum.
67.8% for the Brexit one in Scotland. two thirds voted remain.

"Brits are famous the world over for getting off their arses" yeah right!
Famous for not doing jobs that are beneath them, getting benefits as opposed to working. Just now all we are famous for is having a leader that is almost as dishonest and power crazy as Trump.

As a Loyalist I fear for the Union.

On a side,
Leaving the EU was a mistake, we now could not afford to re-join. The only people who will win from this are the mega rich Torys who have business interests in the far east or the Americas.

So to quote Monte Python... What has Brexit done for you?

Last edited:
Views change in a country as demographics change.
Yup, that's understandable. For any major referendum I believe there should be some minimum time limit before revisiting the same question to the public again. Because the side who lost the vote will want a re-match until they win it. Repeat ad infinitum?

This could be the problem in the uk with elections because the term is only 5 years or so there is no longer term planning obvious to me. Politicians are focused on the shorter election period that than the longer term planning which scarily enough China is able to do. That's Democracy the least worst form of government.

For any major referendum I believe there should be some minimum time limit before revisiting the same question to the public again. Because the side who lost the vote will want a re-match until they win it. Repeat ad infinitum?
That's also the reason where there should be a minimum threshold that needs to be passed (55, 60, 66% etc) rather than a simple majority to change the status quo. There's little point in going through a huge nationwide changes for tiny majority at a single point in time when options can subsequently change and within a year the majority may have swung the other way. Otherwise, as you say, the marginally losing minority will want a rematch because they think they are now the majority.

It's exactly why people set a timeout/threshold on their inkbirds of a few minutes between cooling/heating cycles - to prevent that eternal flip-flopping of cooling/heating

Back