Holland & Barrett Malt Extract Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Brewdays!' started by Bevvied, Aug 8, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 8, 2018 #1

Bevvied

Bevvied

Bevvied

Life Support System For A Beer Belly

Below in bold is a review comment from the holland and barrett site, for their jars of malt extract.

"Malt Extract
    8 of these makes the best 6 gals of beer you can make with Fuggel and goldings hop s try it nice strong beer your mates will love it"

Well, I've stockpiled too many jars of this (can't resist when they're on sale), I have a Wilkos/Nottingham yeast sitting around doing nowt and in the freezer there's 50g of Citra and 50g of Centennial.
    I've seven of these jars. So I'm guessing I'll go for 20 or 21L, something like that.
    I intend boiling up the Centennial and adding the tea at beginning of fermentation for bittering and dry hopping with the Citra.
    What on earth could possibly go wrong. LOL.
    If it's horrible, it's horrible, but there's a FV looking ever so empty :)
    I'll be doing this tonight unless anyone has a screaming red flag/alarm for me.

2. Aug 8, 2018 #2

Sadfield

Sadfield

Sadfield

Regular. Supporting Member

From my experience of using the stuff in starters, I suspect it'll be 5 Gallons of beer and one of trub.

Almost sold my mash tun when I first read that review.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

3. Aug 8, 2018 #3

Drunkula

Drunkula

Drunkula

This is how legends are made.

23 litres would get you 4.1%, 20 litres 4.7% if it works the same as other extract. It might be a little one dimensional but maybe you can find something in your kitchen to jazz it up some.

You'll get somebody coming along saying "Well I've always added a tin of condensed milk to my milk stouts, run me IPA through a bale of hay, and futtt lagers instead uttt using acid malt ah just mash in wit me own ureeeeeen. Mah brown ale... well that's a trade secret but I can tell theee I'm lighter on mee feet after."

So yeah... maybe some treacle?

4. Aug 8, 2018 #4

Bevvied

Bevvied

Bevvied

Told my lad that I'm going gung ho tonight with this.
    He suggested I go the whole hog and ferment in the greenhouse at 28c, throw in some cloves, coriander, orange peel and frozen grapefruit.
    "It wouldn't be any worse" he said.

I'm gonna go ahead with original plan and see what happens. I ain't going to the lengths of bottling it, it will go in a basic PB when ready. Luckily, if it's awful, I have a mate who will drink absolutely anything.

5. Aug 8, 2018 #5

JonBrew

JonBrew

JonBrew

I'd seen that review on the H&B website before and it made me chuckle.

I've heard of some brewers topping up kits with jars of this extract with good results. However, 100% H&B extract is a whole other kettle of fish. Mind you, with all those hops you might end up with something surprisingly drinkable.

Very interested to hear how this turns out. Please do report back with the results.

6. Aug 8, 2018 #6

Bevvied

Bevvied

Bevvied

Well it's in the Fv now.
    25g centennial boiled for 30 minutes, 25g bunged in at lights out and left to cool for a good bit.
    Sieved into the fv with 7 jars of hb malt extract.
    I use a hand blender and whisked the bejesus out of it with couple litres warm water.
    Topped up to 20L.
    Pitched yeast at 20c (that's a common temp in my cellar)
    Will dry hop in 11 or so days if everything looks ok.
    OG 1.048
    I have zero hopes for this, but will post pics as we go along if anyone interested LOL
    Smells Ok mind.

hesstondriver and Drunkula like this.