Holland & Barrett malt extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheepish

Reaction score
Recently I’ve been contemplating brewing a couple of big beers, like a RIS or high gravity porter, and some of the recipes I’ve stumbled on add DME or LME to boost the gravity of a grain beer which seems fair enough. Ever being the tight wad I’ve had a look around and DME is £4’ish for 500g or LME is £10’ish for a 1.5kg can (more than I’d need in one go) and I just noticed Holland & Barrett sell malt extract and with their buy one get one half price a couple of 370g jars would be £2.98.

Does anyone know if this is any different to brewing LME? ...obviously there’s no colour light/medium/dark or whatever, would this matter in a RIS or dark beer anyway??? Anyone ever tried brewing with it???

I use it to make my Yeast Starters and it performs just like any other LME.

I also used 200ml in a Robust Porter I brewed on 16th January this year. It's still a very young beer but a sample bottle I tried today tastes very nice!

I can recommend it!:gulp:

H&B Extract is pretty dark but in a RIS I don't think that matters..

I use it for starters mainly.. I have used it in beers, in a partial mash where there was a much greater percentage of the extract than grain and wasn't convinced by it, but adding it to boost an AG sounds okay to me.

Thanks for the responses everyone, really helpful! :thumb1:

...and it hadn’t crossed my mind to use it for starters, I’ll definately keep some in ...and keep my eyes open for the penny sale!!! :bow:

Back