Home brew bends

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthwormgaz

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi forum ... is there such a thing as the home brew bends? My mates and I had a video chat. I had six pints of home brew. Others had more, of stuff from the shop. I had a skull crushing puke fest of a hang over that went on to 7pm. My mate said the following day "you've given yourself the home brew bends".

Now, I know you need to keep the temperature down, so 23 or so is bad news ... what else can I do to stop my ale crushing my skull.

on-gassing-and-off-gassing-nitrogen-the-bends-og.jpg

Two pints of anything gives me a hangover now. I once drank 6 pints in about 2 minutes then went for a burger, and now I can't drink a glass of wine without knowing I'll feel like **** in the morning.

Hi forum ... is there such a thing as the home brew bends? My mates and I had a video chat. I had six pints of home brew. Others had more, of stuff from the shop. I had a skull crushing puke fest of a hang over that went on to 7pm. My mate said the following day "you've given yourself the home brew bends".

Now, I know you need to keep the temperature down, so 23 or so is bad news ... what else can I do to stop my ale crushing my skull.

What abv is your beer. If your sitting drinking a home brew at 6% compared to your mate who is drinking carlsberg at 3.8% then you will be obviously worse for wear than him

My hangover cure is to drink loads of water, either during the session (this is the best way) or immediately after. Say I drink 6 pints, I'll try to drink at least 3-4 pints of water, preferably up to 6. Most of the headache from drinking is your brain literally shrinking from dehydration so if you can nip that in the bud before it hits you are in much better condition in the morning.

A mate of mine swears by berocca and I've tried it but didn't notice much difference myself.

-Edit- to be clear, I'm saying stop drinking a couple of hours before bed and slowly drink the pints of water over those couple of hours, not neck 6 pints of water one after the other just before bed. That's a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are suffering from fusal alcohol, caused by high fermentation. Keep your fermenter at 20 degrees or less to avoid stressing the yeast. Ideally, keep this consistent temperature throughout, or if not possible the first 3 days.

As above, what ABV are your beers?

What abv is your beer. If your sitting drinking a home brew at 6% compared to your mate who is drinking carlsberg at 3.8% then you will be obviously worse for wear than him

I was actually alternating between a 5.5% IPA and a small beer of about 3.something made from the rest of the mash ... I hoped this woild save me ... it didn't :)

Sounds like you are suffering from fusal alcohol, caused by high fermentation. Keep your fermenter at 20 degrees or less to avoid stressing the yeast. Ideally, keep this consistent temperature throughout, or if not possible the first 3 days.

As above, what ABV are your beers?

I've seen warming belts, does anyone do a cooling belt? That would be really useful ... I find my brews are about 23 in the kitchen, maybe straying up to 25 on hot days.

A mate of mine swears by berocca and I've tried it but didn't notice much difference myself.

It's really the electrolytes your body is after in berocca (as well as the water to rehydrate of course). So you could add some salt, plus lo-salt (lo-salt is 50% potassium chloride) to the pints of water

Latest posts

Back