Home grown hop additions??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have 195g of dried home grown cascade in 4 vacuum packed bags of 3 x 50g and 1 x 45g . As I don't know the alpha I was going to use 20g af magnum as a bittering hop giving 25 ibu's. I like my beers around the 40 mark. I was going to use 4kg of MO and 400g of carapils. Any advice on when to add my cascade to would be greatly appreciated

If I were doing it, I'd use enough magnum to bring the beer up to 40 ibus and add a charge of cascade at flameout- say 20g, and then chill the wort to a bit below 80C and steep another 30g for 20-30 minutes before continuing the chilling. That's one 50g bag used and no need to dry hop.

From looking back at my notes I did something similar - used magnum to bitter to 40 ibus and then 25g of homegrown at 15mins, another 25g for a 20min hopstand and then used 50g as a dry hop (but I think I was trying to use up stuff I had in the freezer)

I've messed up my mash time, not sure when the hours up, what should I do

Trying something different with my hop additions this time, I noticed there is quite a bit of hop matter left in the bottom of my brewzilla despite using a hop spider. So I'm leaving the spider out and I'm going to throw my bittering hops straight in but with my later additions I'm trying these. Has anyone found any difference, other than the cleaning?
1633184290488283553740670758836.jpg

Trying something different with my hop additions this time, I noticed there is quite a bit of hop matter left in the bottom of my brewzilla despite using a hop spider. So I'm leaving the spider out and I'm going to throw my bittering hops straight in but with my later additions I'm trying these. Has anyone found any difference, other than the cleaning? View attachment 55117
Isn't it to do with hop utilisation? A spider reduces hop utilisation - it's about the assumptions in the recipe

Had an emergency last night, luckily I had done everything but the cooling and pitching. So I'm going to finish it this morning. As it's settled should I just transfer it to my FV or should stir it and heat it up to pitching temp. Will it be OK? Do you think I would have lost any hop flavour?

I think you have got it right, just transfer to your FV and try to get to pitching temp.
If it is in the Kettle and the temp is well down you could try and heat it up again, if it is not too low for pitching just put it straight in the FV and then in your normal place to warm up those few degrees then pitch. It all depends on how low it is to pitching temp as you do need to get it fermenting as quick as possible to try and avoid the risk of infection athumb..

Latest posts

Back