Home made chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been no chill brewing for a while now and I've had pretty consistent results by factoring in the natural cool down overnight to my hop schedule.
But...big but...I've always felt that I'm missing some of the hop flavour of late additions and getting more bitterness due to no chill than I was factoring in. Not always, but sometimes it just not quite right. My latest beer bitter ale thingy was supposed to be fairly malty sweet and whilst it's an absolute cracker, it's definitely more bitter than I wanted.
So time to bite the bullet and finally sort out some chillin!

10m of 10mm micro bore wrapped around a lemonade bottle with appropriate lengths for attaching to hose pipe.
It's a little bit rough and ready, but should do the trick!

Once I have some time to measure it properly in my tea urn, I will be spacing out the coils a little, as it's a bit tight at the moment

Attachments

• IMG_20201013_151535.jpg
    IMG_20201013_151535.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 46
I like! As I brew indoors on the cooker I fitted my home made chiller with a couple of short lengths of hose with disconnects. I then made two longer lengths that fit across to the sink so I can chill the kettle in situ...saves trying to move 23l of hot wort!
I then drop the wort straight from the kettle to the fv on the floor..
The pipes are then easily disconnected and chucked in the shed til next time.

My brew urn sits on the washing machine next to a Belfast sink, so taps and drainage are right next to it and just like you, wort gets dropped in to the fv. Hot side aeration? Pah!

Hot side aerewatsiname...the thing is it gets thrashed round as it's cooling as this speeds it up,then,although I use a tube from the kettle to the fv I get it to cause some bubbles to aerate it...
One thing I've been trying is to wait til there's as few litres of wort in the fv,and providing it's at the right temp,I bung in the yeast and let it mix in as the fv fills.

Back