Home made soup recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I enjoy making soup for my two younger children. I normally make a good pot of carrot and lentil soup every second week. This also freezes well. It's really easy, I don't blend it as I like it the way it is.
My mum used to make a really good vegetable soup with shin beef. I can't seem to make that as good as I remember my mum's being.
Has anyone got a nice soup recipe I could try out.

Minestrone
Onion
Garlic
Carrot
Celery
Cabbage
Bit of chilli
Oregano
Basil pesto
Tomato pasata
S&P
Optional
Beans
Pasta
Cook until the carrots are tender

Hey Samale - I’m not a big souper, but really like this. Once you’ve got the chicken sorted (I use the remainder of a cold roast chicken or buy a rotisserie chicken rather than poaching chicken breasts separately) it’s really quick to make and very tasty.

F95775F3-2197-4B24-9D50-F316DC1326B1.jpeg

Stew or Scouse as it's sometimes called...
Potatoes, carrots,onions...any root veg you like. Stock,OXO,meat...beef or you can use tinned corned beef.
Bung it all in a big pan and slow cook for ages..

Stew or Scouse as it's sometimes called...
Potatoes, carrots,onions...any root veg you like. Stock,OXO,meat...beef or you can use tinned corned beef.
Bung it all in a big pan and slow cook for ages..
That's stew, another big favourite in our house. I would normally you mince steak👍

Lentil and veg soup is marvellous. Even better if made with the stock leftover from some boiled bacon.

Pea and mint is excellent and can be n knocked up in no time.

Roast pumpkin in the autumn...

Presumably mulligatawny and IPA was a thing in 1850s Calcutta...

Butter bean soup

pressure cook 500g of butter beans in water for 45m
open the pressure cooker and add
some roughly chopped onions
tin of tomatoes
tomatoe puree
chilli flakes or herbs
good dose of olive oil
pepper
pressure cook another 15m
Then open it up and add salt and reduce if neccessary
I cook this all the time in winter, courgettes sliced are good in it too.

Any veg u can get your hands on salt and pepper any stock cubes blend and simmer for an hour or two honestly I dont think u can go wrong tasty and so good and healthy

Go to your local Charity shop when it reopens and look at the cookery books you'll find one on soup if you're patient.

Minestrone
Onion
Garlic
Carrot
Celery
Cabbage
Bit of chilli
Oregano
Basil pesto
Tomato pasata
S&P
Optional
Beans
Pasta
Cook until the carrots are tender
I'm sure that will be good, but if it's going to be minestrone then the beans and pasta are mandatory and it needs some chopped streaky bacon.

Lentil and veg soup is marvellous. Even better if made with the stock leftover from some boiled bacon.

Pea and mint is excellent and can be n knocked up in no time.

Roast pumpkin in the autumn...

Presumably mulligatawny and IPA was a thing in 1850s Calcutta...
I have made it with the stock of the boiled gammon. Lovely taste but it can go off very quickly.

Hi CC
Not a veggie version ...
... did you spot how samale's Mum used to make her version of Vegetable Soup back in the day, presumably when the distinction between (mostly) vegetable and vegetarian, was more blurred than now ...
My mum used to make a really good vegetable soup with shin beef.
:confused.:

Cheers, PhilB

Latest posts

Back