Home tap water analysis

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My flow rate has got worse since I posted this. At the weekend I was putting it on and setting a timer for 45 minutes only to return to find the 5l bottle half full. Where is this flush valve?
Should be a valve in the centre that looks like a closed loop..picture below is my filter and it's in the middle of the unit
Screenshot_20220124-183207.jpg

Should be a valve in the centre that looks like a closed loop..picture below is my filter and it's in the middle of the unit
View attachment 61802

Ah, I don’t have anything like that. It’s just straight pip work. I have spare new filters for it somewhere. When I remember where I put them I’ll change them over and see if that makes any difference.

Ah, I don’t have anything like that. It’s just straight pip work. I have spare new filters for it somewhere. When I remember where I put them I’ll change them over and see if that makes any difference.
E-Chen Self Regulating Booster Pump RO Reverse Osmosis Unit With Transformer 50-400gpd (100gpd) Amazon.co.uk
Next purchase maybe. This is the pump I have.

UPDATE:
Just got my analysis results back and these are the results.

Local water report 2021Tap water analysis 2022Home Testing August 2021
Ca48.951n/a
Mg8.48n/a
Na19n/an/a
Cl23.2522n/a
S0478.6268n/a
Alkalinity as CaC03n/a8896.44
Total Hardness as CaC03157.2160n/a
pHn/a7.57.1
HC03 not tested but calculatedn/a105.6115.72

They (Murphy's) haven't tested for sodium (Na) but instead nitrate, with a mg/l value of 6. I have never seen nitrate on a brewing calculator before. I have asked them why it was tested for and sodium wasn't.

Last edited:
I’m not sure independent water reports are worth it if your water company provide a detailed report. I bet the water company will have far better measuring equipment and they’ll give you values averaged over a number of readings rather than just a single reading from a single sample.

I’m not sure independent water reports are worth it if your water company provide a detailed report. I bet the water company will have far better measuring equipment and they’ll give you values averaged over a number of readings rather than just a single reading from a single sample.
True. However the difference between the min and max can be quite a lot. My most recent local report also had a failure with iron. And I have a calculator that asks for the iron value. None of the others do and Murphy's didn't test for it anyway.

They actually got back to me about the sodium analysis. Said it would cost extra to have it done but it's rare to have high quantities. Considering all the others were so close to the local report, I'll just go with 19 ppm.

Back