Homebrew Beer Myths

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take your point and largely agree unless there is reliable science that disproves the 'myth'.

The BIAB squeezing causing tannin extraction is possibly one such example. It has been well documented that tannin extraction is a function of pH and temperature, i.e. mash/sparge pH and mash/sparge temp being too high. You cannot physically 'squeeze' tannins out of grain husks.

I think it's possible though that brewers who aren't controlling their mash pH and temps well could be experiencing the effects of tannin extractions, i.e. astringency. If one is controlling both pH and mash temp well, squeezing their BIAB, and still having issues with astringency, I personally believe that the root cause of the problem lies elsewhere.

All I know is that I started controlling my mash pH a few years ago and since doing so I've never had a problem with astringency etc and I do squeeze the bag - not too rough mind but a decent compression. 🙂

Aye, I only squoze gently myself, ish, sorta, as found if I squoze too much I ended up with cloudy brews more often. I pH control myself also, used to use 80% lactic acid, about to start using AMS/CRS though as I also used to use RO water where now I'm just using water from the tap and adding less salts.... I suspect some of the time, some of the astringency/bitterness folks notice though is just the first time they use very dark malts maybe? I know I for one can't stand the flavour of roasted barley (downright burned, like ash), and black malt doesn't taste too good to me if used in the mash either, so I always used to use either midnight wheat, or chocolate malt instead. wink... No bag to squeeze any more though, happy days. lol

I do however have personal experience of the green apples thing though, and know of recipes that even exploit it. I can't use priming drops either, yach! I will however admit that there is evidence that it only occurs with some yeasts though, not all, so could be I wouldn't even notice it with some yeasts. You know how it is though, once bitten, twice shy.... I love the effect you get though if you use a bit of honey in a beer fermented with a French Saison yeast, bliss.

The most remarkable thing is we had a reputation at the time for the best Stella in town!

It actually tasted of something!

As for homebrew myths, here are some gems I've had so far:

• Home brewing? Only alcoholics do that.
  • You can't brew with grain at home
  • It'll never be as good as shop bought/pub stuff
  • Any glass or plastic vessel you put it in is likely to explode.
  • It'll make you go blind/give you cancer
My dad tried a kit brew back in the 80s. The vessel he put it in exploded with enough force that there were glass shards embedded in the brick cupboard wall. He couldn't remember whether he fitted an airlock or not. I'm guessing possibly not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back