Homebrew kit in a pressurised fermentor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been on a bucket brewing learning curve in parallel with a Pinter (small pressurised vessel) learning curve - next step is larger brews under pressure, for which I have a 35L Snub-nose fermentor, pressure kit and spunding valve ready to go. I'd like to start with straight forward Mangrove Jacks or Morgans Pilsner kit - any ideas on whether it's better to mix the malt extract and sugar in a bucket and pour into the snub-nose or can I stick my arm in and mix it in place?

You don't necessarily have to start with warm water but it helps. Also, the opening of the snubby isn't that big. If you have thin arms, you should be ok. I'd say the easiest and safest option is to use a bucket first and then syphon into the snubby.

You don't necessarily have to start with warm water but it helps. Also, the opening of the snubby isn't that big. If you have thin arms, you should be ok. I'd say the easiest and safest option is to use a bucket first and then syphon into the snubby.

No. I have fat arms and ham fists! Bucket makes sense, thanks

or a funnel.
Friend misshaped his fermentasaurus with a kit and too hot water. Make sure it's below 45celsius. Ideal around pitch temperature really.
If I was doing a " warm " lager I'd start off with the spunding valve at about 10 psi and ramp it up to 20 psi by the end of fermentation ( using ferment gas ) not from bottle.

Also, probably better doing all your stirring/fiddling in a brew bucket and then syphoning/pouring it into the FV, that way you're only bashing & scratching a £5 bucket with your spoon and you can use the syphoning to oxygenate the wort by doing it from a height.

Latest posts

Back