Homebrew Twang? [Poll]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrew Twang?

• I have tasted it in every one can kit i have made.

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • I have tasted it in every two can kit i have made.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I have tasted it in some one can kits.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I have tasted it in some two can kits.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • I have never tasted it in a one can kit.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I have never tasted it in a two can kit.

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The subject comes up fairly regularly (there is a thread about it at the moment) so i thought i would add this poll to see how many members have tasted it and in which kits.

You have two votes. :thumba:

This is an interesting one. I got this sensation here and there with kit beers - less so with 2 can kits and less so with Coopers kits than the ubiquitous Muntons manufactured ones.

The interesting point is that once I started doing what I termed a "partial mash" - basically a one can kit plus a 10L AG Stove Top BIAB brew, I never got one out of 27 with "le Twang".

This leads me in the direction of thinking it is perhaps a yeast by-product when there are not quite enough nutrients in the wort for its liking.

I dunno if it's too late to add "I noticed it in some kit beers and not others, but without a clear pattern" (or some such). I think this is likely to be the most frequent experience.

Still no definition. What is obvious from the other thread is that people are calling `homebrew twang' any off flavour imaginable - from yeasty flavours, astringent bitterness to cidery taste.

Good point so if we call "The Twang" yeasty flavours, astringent or bitterness etc then it'll show if kits taste as the members expected them to or not.

Agrred. We need to agree what flavours or smells are unique and detrimental to Kit beers. I would like to limit it to yeasty smells/flavours.

I don't see how anyone can blame the canned LME. Canned products deteriorate very slowly and remain safe to eat almost indefinitely. Canned salmon has been eaten after 100 years.

Agrred. We need to agree what flavours or smells are unique and detrimental to Kit beers. I would like to limit it to yeasty smells/flavours.

I don't see how anyone can blame the canned LME. Canned products deteriorate very slowly and remain safe to eat almost indefinitely. Canned salmon has been eaten after 100 years.
I've said it before but in my opinion it's definitely LME. No idea if it has anything to do with the canning or not, but I used to get it most of the time with LME but never DME.

Well, I would suggest another category for your poll:
I've not got a clue about what "homebrewtwang" actually is.
Maybe this is a bit like "dry hops equals grassy flavour", which I don't get at all.
I suspect that any "twang" (definition uncertain.......) is more likely to be the result of dubious brewing practice than brewing your own beer at home, whether from a kit right through to all-grain. Does it exist? If so, then why?
Maybe Cwrw666 has nailed it in post #3

Latest posts

Back