Homegrown hop storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been growing hops for 5 or 6 years now, I watch the crop like a hawk in Sept and pick at the best point, then dry them in a warm garage spread out on large plastic trays for 3/4 days before processing. I usually store them in the freezer in bags with as much air sucked out as possible.

I had a bumper crop in 2020 so invested in a vacuum packer. I stored them in the coolest room in the house (no room in the freezer), in the dark in a carboard box. Just opened 2 packets of the Styrian Goldings and all the aroma has disappeared, just got that horrible musty smell. The vacuum was intact with both packs. Thankfully had an old commercial pack of Styians, quite old 2018 crop, but the aroma was immediate when opening them.

Any idea what I did wrong with my crop?

Yes, it could be that - I've over-dried them in the past to the point where they are brittle so was careful not to do it last season, maybe I just didn't dry them enough? Anyone know how to tell when they are properly dry?

Back