Homelessness - Is it really a "Life Choice"?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assumed it was serious; I hope I didn't imply otherwise.

No not you... I meant Chippy, saying tent pegs are hard to get into concrete or summat like that! But I didn't mean pitching up in town anyway! A hundred yards from my house is a large, open, public space. Yet the town centre is less than a mile away. That's what I had in mind as I'm sure every town and city has a similar, suitable place. I know that's what I'd do in such a dreadful situation... probably.

But I didn't mean pitching up in town anyway! A hundred yards from my house is a large, open, public space. Yet the town centre is less than a mile away. That's what I had in mind as I'm sure every town and city has a similar, suitable place. I know that's what I'd do in such a dreadful situation... probably.

I don't think our council would let the homeless camp wherever they want as they do not let travellers do the same

Round my way a good few homeless people do use tents, 1 guy at the night shelter on Tuesday said he lent his tent to another guy while he was in the shelter.

On the subject of homeless people using tents, we wintered in Toulouse on our boat for a couple of years. There were a lot of people sleeping rough in the city, particularly under the bridges across the canal, so we saw them regularly as we went about shopping, cycling etc.

Just before one Christmas (2010 I think it was) the local business community donated and erected dozens of small tents for the homeless people in one of the city parks; and then more or less "dared" the Mayor and the Municipal Police to do anything about it!

It was a huge story in the local press. "Tent City" didn't become a permanent fixture, but at least the local homeless people had somewhere safe and secure to stay over Christmas and during the cold months up until April the following year.

It must also have jolted the local Council into more positive action as the number of people sleeping rough dropped dramatically.

Maybe if UK businesses did something similar it would jolt our own Councils into action!:gulp:

PS

Mentioning homeless people in Toulouse brought back a vivid memory that I would rather forget.

If you are homeless and meet someone that you fancy where can you consummate your passion?

In the case of one ardent couple in Toulouse it was under a bridge, next to a cycle path at the side of the canal.:wave:SWMBO asked "Did you see that?" which I will always consider to be one of the daftest questions she has ever asked, as the man nearly finished up with my bike parked between his bum cheeks!

It's complicated.
A very large proportion of the people in Grenfell Tower were there illegally.
Government are rolling out the red carpet to import and house thousands of migrants who are already living in camps in safe countries away from conflict.
Mental health services and support for veterans are a very long way short of where they should be.
I'm all for the hose 'em down, load 'em in a van and hip 'em out of the city approach but you absolutely can not do that until you sort out your priorities and put appropriate social provisions in place first.

As a foreigner I have this to say about it.
One of the things I found shocking of the major cities of the UK and Ireland is the amount of homeless people sleeping on the streets.
I am not used to this in the Netherlands. In the Netherlands generally the only people who sleep on the streets are the truly estranged people who do not wish to seek refuge in shelters.
And even those are actively recruited to shelters when the weather gets cold.

So if things can be different in a neighbouring country its probably not a life choice ;).

From today's BBC Text service:

Vulnerable people are unable to access social housing, potentially trapping hem "in a cycle of homelessness", due to a change in the law.
Under the Localism Act 2011 councils were granted greater powers to restrict access to social housing.
Since then 700,000 households have disappeared from waiting lists across England.
The Ministry of Housing Communities and Local Government (HCLG) said: "Social housing is a o priority for us."

A flock of pigs then flew past the Ministers office window. Here's a link to a Government explanation of the Act:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/5959/1896534.pdf

Here's my own favourite paragraph from the explanation:

"Instead of being able to act only where the law says they can, local authorities will be freed to do anything - provided they do not break other laws."

So, local councillors are now "free to do anything" within the law!

That leaves such a huge scope of activity that I suggest everyone reads the pamphlets that are pushed through their letterboxes and votes in Local Elections.

In my case the responsible authority granted these powers is East Lindsey District Council. Headquartered at Manby 20+ miles away the Council is dominated by the Conservative Party, which is probably why we have so many homeless people in my area.

Things have to change!:gulp:

"Instead of being able to act only where the law says they can, local authorities will be freed to do anything - provided they do not break other laws."

It's perfectly possible to put a legislative framework in place that provides the same support without the restrictions. Funny how they never seem to do that- it's almost as if removing restrictions may not be their primary concern.

Latest posts

Back