Honda confirms Swindon car plant closure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I doubt anyone will be surprised to read this however i was very surprised to see they didn't blame Brexit for the decision.

Read in full - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47287386

Honda has confirmed it will close its Swindon car plant in 2021, with the loss of about 3,500 jobs.

The Japanese company builds 160,000 Honda Civics a year in Swindon, its only car factory in the EU.

Honda said the move was due to global changes in the car industry and the need to launch electric vehicles, and it had nothing to do with Brexit.

Business Secretary Greg Clark said the decision was "devastating" for Swindon and the UK.

A fall in demand for diesel cars and tougher emissions regulations have shaken up the car industry.

'Betrayed': The reaction from Swindon

Unite union official Alan Tomala said employees at the Swindon factory felt "betrayed" by the closure announcement.

"They feel that the company owes them a little more than hearing the news in the media.

"I left work yesterday to 57 missed calls and around 130 emails, and not one from Honda. It surprises me and I'm angered by it."

Outside the factory gates, employee Chris, whose son also works at the plant, told the BBC he was "extremely disappointed".

"I've been here 19 years and it's devastating for all involved," he said.

"You've only got to look across the road at the large warehouses here too, I don't know what the jobs will be replaced with."

Local employment agencies have begun setting up meetings to prepare employees.

Kath Curr, managing director of C&D Recruitment in Swindon, said the closure was "devastating for the town as a whole", but Honda workers' skills were "completely transferrable" .

Read in full - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47287386

Last edited:
It's bad news for the employees at the plant absolutely. asad. They are going to build more cars back in Japan. The yen must not be as high as it once was and with the eu tariffs now being reduced it obviously makes it profitable for them to export FROM japan. I looked at a Jazz & Suzuki (both were made in Japan). The yen was so high in the past that is was prohibitive to build there and export. The previous suzuki swift was built in Hungary, so this is NOT related to the brexit shenanigans. It happens all the time auto plants relocated manufacture, Japan's auto makes will now focus of exporting from Japan. I do hope Daihatsu come back to sell in the uk. We have 2 Sirions in the household, Amazingly fun/versatile cars. The leaf is sunderland based, thats a lot of investment, unfortunately we can't win every investment decision for the uk. asad1

I do hope Daihatsu come back to sell in the uk.

I remember years ago many taxi drivers run Datsun cars so i guess they were reliable, i passed my test in a 120Y (similar to below) and cannot remember it ever breaking down.

2087.jpg

As had been said, now they can build cars tariff free in Japan, they might as well, then ship a product with all the value added, rather than as parts. They are shutting their Turkish plant as well, for the same reason.

The loss of 3,500 jobs at the plant but think of all the other jobs that will be lost too that will be impacted by the closure of the plant. Swindon will be devastated. It'll be like one of the those mining towns when the pit closed

The loss of 3,500 jobs at the plant but think of all the other jobs that will be lost too that will be impacted by the closure of the plant.

They were discussing this earlier and its going to be 2 or more jobs for every one lost at the plant very worrying times for the people of Swindon.

There will be more. There is a perfect storm brewing in the European market; over capacity, falling demand, improving manufacturers in the far East, new production lines required for the new generation of electric vehicles with different supply chains.

Vauxhall, JLR, PSA and Ford's EU plants all look in danger.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was even more

They are probably keeping the number low to lessen the blow, i know when the shipyard up here had mass redundancies when the cold war ended 4 or 5 also lost their jobs due to the knock on effect, they laid off several thousand in a very short period and it devastated the area, i feel sorry for the poor sods about to lose their jobs and those that will in the future as a result.

Last edited:
It's the beginning of the end of the motor industry as we know it. A number of manufacturers are on hold because of new regulations and electronic cars. Whole plants need updating and some key dates have been missed. I know suzuki are one of them. Dealerships just can't get the cars into the country to sell.

...plus no one can afford them and the infrastructure is there to support them.

Great! Maybe they'll have to drop the price so much just to offload them, that I might be able to afford one. But purlease no electric junk - they can shove those up their ****.

Great! Maybe they'll have to drop the price so much just to offload them, that I might be able to afford one. But purlease no electric junk - they can shove those up their ****.
I assume you’ve driven a few electric cars to come up with your unbiased view.
It’s a bit like saying stout is rubbish when you’ve never drunk it.

I assume you’ve driven a few electric cars to come up with your unbiased view.
It’s a bit like saying stout is rubbish when you’ve never drunk it.

No, I just think they sound pathetic and don't smell nice ( ie of oil, petrol, fumes and other lovely gunge ). And I won't touch anything created under the false and ludicrous premise of 'tackling climate change'.

I think it’s really sad. As many of you say it’s going to be way more than 3500 jobs that are lost from the knock affects. The place is massive and IS the employer in the area.

I’ve known loads of people that worked there and it is going to be devastating for the whole town. Such a sad state of affairs.

I doubt anyone will be surprised to read this however i was very surprised to see they didn't blame Brexit for the decision.

Why should a Japanese company like Honda protect what they regard as the "foreign workers" they employ in theUK when they have problems much closer to home.

I predict that this will be the first of many situations where foreign owned companies close down their UK operations and the UK government will be powerless to stop it happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why should a Japanese company like Honda protect what they regard as the "foreign workers" they employ in theUK when they have problems much closer to home.

I don't think anyone said they should its a business besison based on their lack of sales here, I am not surprised they are pulling the plug but as I said in the OP I am surprised they didn't blame Brexit.

Is it the UK or EU leading the emissions thing thus affecting diesel sales which is probably a major factor in this? Or is it something else?

Latest posts

Back