Hook Norton Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonedog

Reaction score
Hi all, just a quick question is there any kit that I can get hold of that taste anything like Hook Norton Ales IPA/ Summer Ales/any? Thanks in advance

To try and clone a summer/golden ale with a kit, I'd suggest culturing up the Hook norton yeast strain (from bottle of their double stout) and using that, as English Styles can get a significant amount of their flavour from the yeast. As well as a dry hop and/or hop tea of the hop types used in whichever golden/summer ale your trying to clone. Added to a summer ale/golden ale kit

I don't think so, but if you've done a few kits and think you could manage an extract brew, here's a recipe for Old Hooky that I've made. It's pretty close, you'll need a 12L or 15L stockpot.

• Heat about 8L of water to 75C.
  • Steep the Flaked Maize, Crystal Malt and Black Malt for 30mins then strain so you just have the liquid.
  • Mix in the 2kg DME and bring to the boil.
  • Once boiling, add the Challenger and boil for 50min.
  • Then add the Fuggles for an additonal 10min - total boil time 60min.
  • Strain into the FV and top up to 19L with cold water.
  • You may need a few ice cubes or to leave it a while for temp to drop to 18-22C, then pitch the yeast.
  • After 7-10 days, add in the Goldings for a dry hop, keep in there for 5 days or so.

Total Volume 19L

Grain Bill
----------------
2kg Dry Malt Extract - Light
330g Flaked Maize
200g Crystal Malt
50g Black Malt

Hop Bill
----------------
32g Challenger Leaf - 60 Minutes Boil
11g Fuggles Leaf - 10 Minutes Boil
8g East Kent Golding Leaf - Dry Hop last 5 days

Yeast - any English ale yeast such as Gervin, Nottlingham or Safale S04 will do.

Latest posts

Back