Hop addition at 0 mins

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spit

Keepersbrew
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks sorry another day another question.
Just wondering when the recipe says hop at 0 mins or flame out do you add the hops to the hop spider and leave it in the grainfather while you cool the wort into the fv.
I'm asking because it is very difficult to do any whirlpooling with the spider in.
I hope that makes sense thank you in advance.

depends how many. i have a BM and usually let the boil hops go in loose and use the spider for the hop stand, although last brew i forgot to clean it so chucked everything in loose without any issues, not sure about the GF but the BM can handle 100- 150g loose with the pump on, without it getting clogged in my experience.

I don't use the hop spider.I've got a brewzilla and just chuck the hops in. The false bottom filter does a reasonably good job of keeping the hops out but not perfect. I think the Brewzilla false bottom fits the Grandfather. However I've found since I got the whirlpool arm and been using it, I've had less issues with hops in the motor, which usually manifests in a reduced flow rate rather than complete blockage. I guess keeping the wort moving prevents the hop matter from settling, falling through the false bottom and getting into the pump inlet.

I'll then use the hop spider when transferring into the FV to filter out any hop matter or grains that managed to get past the false bottom. Also seems to help with aeration.

Back