Hop additions for a punk IPA style

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcoholiday

Reaction score
Hi all I'm going to brew shop later, recently tried;

Mangrove Jack pink grapefruit, it's ok, dosnt really hit the spot and the grapefruit just wasn't there

So which kit this time and what additions, looking for something a good 5,5 / 6% and booming with flavour

Thanks all, look forward to all suggestions

I made my Punk clone (AG) following the DIY Dog's recipe with some hop substitutions.
For kit modification , I would think any American IPA kit would do as basis, then you bring it to boil and add the late additions in the same way as for the AG recipe.
Dry hopping is the key part. I think I left mine dry hopping for 7 days.
BTW, I substituted Ahtanum with Willamette and it came pretty close to the commercial Punk in aroma.

Last edited:
For me Ahtanum hops are the key flavour for Punk IPA - so anything with late additions of these

Hi ! Thanks for advice

How soon towards end of fermentation do you put the hips in and how much ?
if you leave the brew for 7 days and then add the hops for another 7 days, should cover off everything you need for a hop bomb beer!

Before end o fermentation?

What I meant was after 7 days virtually all the fermentation should be complete. Then add the hops and leave another 7 days.
That gives you a total of 14 days from adding the yeast, which is more than enough time for it to cleaned up after itself, extracted as much hop flavour as is possible from the dry hop and settled out all the proteins and trub and yeast from the beer.
Then it's ready to bottle.

What I meant was after 7 days virtually all the fermentation should be complete. Then add the hops and leave another 7 days.
That gives you a total of 14 days from adding the yeast, which is more than enough time for it to cleaned up after itself, extracted as much hop flavour as is possible from the dry hop and settled out all the proteins and trub and yeast from the beer.
Then it's ready to bottle.

How many grammes of hops 50 / 100g ?

For me Ahtanum hops are the key flavour for Punk IPA - so anything with late additions of these

In a kit mate how much of the Ahtanum would you out in a 21 litre batch ? 50g / 100g as well as hops that come with the kit ?

Cheers

I would recommend about 8g per litre for dry hopping more than this and its mostly just wasting hops, experiments show utilisation at 20g per litre isnt double what it is at 10

All I can say is be careful with massive amounts of hopping as it is a vicious circle as the serious hop heads are using way too much in beers because they have burnt there taste receptors and keep having to add more to compensate for it. If you do want to go down the serious hop additions just be aware it will damage your pocket, I like hoppy beers but generally find that 2oog of hops in total i.e additions/whirlpool and dry hops will give a nicely hopped beer but by all means add till your hearts content but it will burn your taste buds commonly known as hop burn when too many hops have been used.
Good luck ands do not forget if using a already commercial IPA kit it has already got hops in it so go lighter on your additions

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back