Hop additions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Would anyone be willing to give a list of the meanings of hop additions if there is any
60 min is for bittering
Flameout is for flavours aroma maybe
But what about 45 ,30, 15 min left in boil do they have a purpose

Early in the boil is more about bittering, later is about flavour, later still aroma. You will still get some bittering from the late hops and probably some flavour from the early ones. I don't think there any hard and fast rules though about "meanings" of each addition. What you get will depend on the hops being used and, to an extent the grain bill and yeast.

Well, there are loads of opinions about this.
My take is, at maximum, there are 3 phases:
1: Bittering. So leave high-alpha hops in for the whole of your boil, maybe 60mins. Not much hop flavour as such, bittering is pretty much all you get - but that's all you need at this stage.
2: "Flavour" - whatever that is, and how different it is from "aroma". You can add all sorts of hops at different times in the boil - but I seriously suspect that this is adding complication for its own sake. This is the main thrust of your question, and my answer would be to just add steep/whirlpool hops at the end of the boil & totally forget about "late boil" additions at various precise times. Sounds good but probably is just hype.
3: Dry Hop - and, for me, if you are after a really "in-your-face" hoppy beer, this is where you put your big shot.
;

It's complicated. All hop additions provide flavour, they just do it differently and to different degrees Different hop oils become soluble, and evaporate, at different temperatures. For example, if you want farnesene in your pint, you need to dry hop it, as it won't survive boiling or whirlpool temperatures.

Dry hop temperatures preserve oils much more effectively than high temperatures, but they are less effective at removing the oils from the hops, so it's a compromise. The idea of steeping below 80C is this compromise, maximizing the extraction/evaporation ratio, if you like. This article talks about this and explains how the key oils behave, and advocates only adding hops in 3 phases - start of boil for bittering, whirlpool after the boil and partial cooling, and dry hopping.

https://byo.com/article/save-hops-post-boil/
My feeling is that adding hops to the boil within the last 20 minutes is similar to whirlpool additions, but you need to be able to cool you beer quickly at the end if the boil to prevent evaporation, and also to avoid additional bitterness.

Latest posts

Back