Hop advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafbach

Reaction score
Having been let down by the post today I am going to brew a bitter, however will have to change the hops slightly.

Original recipe was
60 mins
10g Challenger
10g Northdown
10g Target

10 mins
10g Challenger
10g Northdown

I was hoping my Target and Northdown would arrive today, no show.

So, I will substitute Target with Fuggles.

Re Northdown, Challenger seems to be a suitable substitute.

So my question is, do I simply double up on Challenger, both appear to have similar hop AA count.

Fuggles and Challenger will make a nice bitter. Looking at the substituted hops in comparison with the original, I would be tempted to increase the 60 minute additions. On average Northdown and Target have higher AA values than Challenger and Fuggles respectively, so you might lose a little bitterness if you just replace like for like.

Personally, I wouldn't use Fuggle instead of Target. Target is a higher AA hop, so you'd need a lot more Fuggle, and since Fuggle is primarily a flavour/aroma hop I reckon much of their contribution in these departments would be boiled off. Unless you have another dual-purpose hop available for the full boil, I'd be tempted to use Challenger alone as the 60min hop, and save the Fuggle for late addition, either by itself or in combination with Challenger.

Back