Hop alpha acids

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFB

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone know how you can guage the alpha acids of home grown hops?
First year's crop I just used for late additions.
Last autumn had a bumper crop of EKG, so need to use them up.
My latest porter I wanted about 30 ibu's.
Estimated about 6% in the recipe builder.. not convinced i hit 30 ibu's??

A couple of things: one- I have three home grown hops and don't use any of them for bittering, but chuck them in as late hops. Their freshness makes a unique beer in each case. two- none of the old recipes consider alpha acid content as they didn't know about it, let alone how to measure it. They're chucked into the brew by weight depending on past experience of how relatively bitter they might have been.

Then again, did you dry your hops before using them? You'll need a shed load more wet hops to get the same bitterness as dry hops.

A couple of things: one- I have three home grown hops and don't use any of them for bittering, but chuck them in as late hops. Their freshness makes a unique beer in each case. two- none of the old recipes consider alpha acid content as they didn't know about it, let alone how to measure it. They're chucked into the brew by weight depending on past experience of how relatively bitter they might have been.

Then again, did you dry your hops before using them? You'll need a shed load more wet hops to get the same bitterness as dry hops.
Ended up with 500g of dried!
Was guessing it would be trail and error to taste.
Just wandering if there was a test or something?

Latest posts

Back