Hop combo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Would u rather use one hop or say 2 to 3 different types yo a basic kit to improve flavour

If you want to see what a particular hop is like on its own, then use the one. Always good for a bit of experimentation

If you know what the kit is like then go for it. If you know what each hop brings etc... then start experimenting with combos. It will vary on what you want to achieve & what your preferences are. Hop teas & dryhopping are a great start.

@labrewski
Before you start chucking hops into beer I suggest you must first do your research (plenty of stuff out there, try the Crossmyloof site for hop descriptions) and then try them individually, before you think about combining them. And some hops need larger quantities to make an impact compared to others. And what I like as a hop addition you may not etc etc So there is no straightforward answer to your question.

I started using one hop at a time for dry hopping kits so that I could see what each one was like. M&S also used to sell a good range of single hop beers (not sure if they still do as I haven't been for a while).

I now know which ones I prefer and which combinations may work so look at recipes others have done or clone recipes of commercial beers I like to try and get the ratios of the hops right. However it's still a lot of fun just experimenting if you're not after a particular result!

Oakham Citra IPA is a single hop beer available from supermarkets. Very nice too.

Latest posts

Back