Hop Combo's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi there going ahead with a Wilko IPA (making it tonight). I only have 300g enhancer but have been advised that using 580g brewing sugar and reducing to 20l should give me what I am looking for a brew between 4% - - - 5%.
I am ordering hops and yeast from the excellent Crossmyloof Brewery (fantastic range and prices of hops) in nearby Glasgow.
I just plucked 2 varieties from their extensive list and was wondering will they work? Feel free to comment or advise My last Wilko IPA was dry hopped with Citra & Cascade and is great.
The two I have choosen are Orion & Columbus.
I am also purchasing a 'US Pale Ale Yeast' sold in a 10g satchet. I have been assured by them this works well...Should I throw in my 6 g Wilko yeast too or not?

I don't know about Orion but I've used Columbus to dry hop lots and I really like it. It's got an almost sherberty edge to it, and if you carb slightly high - 2.3 vols+ then I think it's almost like space-dust/pop-rocks.

I wouldn't throw the wilko yeast in as it's probably s-33. It's best to rehydrate the dry yeast and temperature makes much more of a difference than I thought (33 to 38c) but you'll get away with it if you sprinkle.

It says Orion hops are a Northern Brewer derivative with cedar and pine notes. I'm trying to taste that in my mind with the columbus and I'm not sure pine + citrus work, but it well might. I'm only guessing like you'd try and taste food combinations in your mind.

Columbus definitely good for an IPA, though.

I've never heard of orion, but I really like Columbus. Piney, herbal, bit of citrus is how I would describe it. Some people have described it as 'dank' (in a good way).

I'd just the CML yeast. That one is very reliable in my experience

i'll order my hops in next few days as i dont need until i dry hop....just made mistake then my mind wasn't on job lol...after i sprinkled the yeast on top of the beer i then stirred vigorously i forgot ....is this disaster? will it still ferment or not as good?
also after few comments i will order Columbus can u suggest another which u feel would go with it ty

Latest posts

Back