Hop Emergency?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Genders

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a situation, that I want to relay:
I have just (approx 28hours ago) harvested my first load of home grown hops! Very excited to brew with them and rigged up a make shift drying apparatus in our south facing kitchen with fan underneath to dry them.
This evening my mum visited and produced a packet a fimo (plasticine that you bake in the oven) for each of my young children. Long story short, my mum - god bless her - burnt the bejesus out of the stuff in our oven and filled the house with plastic smelling smoke while I was putting the kids to bed.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Is it worth brewing with the hops? Was only planning to use the hops for flavouring/ aroma as I can't grow loads and the plants are only 1 year established. I have two varieties Mathon and WGV. I predicted they are only about half way through they're drying process from my internet research

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks!

Nearest equivalent I can think of are the wine grapes affected by smoke from wildfires in California, which does carry through to the wine.

Obviously hops are a bit different, as they're only a small proportion of the final volume, and it could be that eg you detect a taint from dry hopping but they're fine to use in the boil.

Only way to know for certain is to suck it and see.

Back