Hop extract in the whirlpool/hopstand anyone??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking of using the Incognito product in my next brew in the hopstand/whrilpool and wondering if anyone else has used this product and what they think of it? Seen a few YouTube vids on it from both home brewers and commercial brewers and seem to be pretty positive. Sound particularly attractive for the hopstand as it avoids dumping all the veg matter of normal hops that cause me problems with my plate chiller and a less messy clean up.

Also wondering if any steeping time is required or needed as you're directly introducing the oils so no need for steeping time to coax the oils out of the actual hop matter., So I was thinking just chill from the boil and as soon as the wort temp drops to hopstand temps (I usually do my hop stands at 75 degrees C) dump in the Incognito and stir in without interrupting the chill, and at that point just switch the plate chiller from recirculation and straight to the fermenter.

Thanks.

I’ve used the hop extract available from CML. I’m not sure if it’s the same stuff but my advice would be for you to add a small amount to a finished beer to see what you think before using it in a full batch.

I’ve used the hop extract available from CML. I’m not sure if it’s the same stuff but my advice would be for you to add a small amount to a finished beer to see what you think before using it in a full batch.
Hi, no, they are not the same product.

We have had brilliant results using incognito. General advise is to use in conjunction with a small amount of pellet hops. The idea is the oils sticks to the pellet material and distributes really well within the wort. It also makes clean up much easier.

Ah, sounds sensible, anything to reduce hop matter in the wort will make it easier on my plate chiller. So I presume that since its better to have some hop pellets in the hopstand then a steep time at the hopstand is still required?

Ah, sounds sensible, anything to reduce hop matter in the wort will make it easier on my plate chiller. So I presume that since its better to have some hop pellets in the hopstand then a steep time at the hopstand is still required?
It's all about the whirlpool if you are using pellet hops, Incognito and a plate chiller. Any type of hop filter is not needed. Just whirlpool so that the whole volume of wort is moving. This can be stirring or using a pump, then leave to settle before dropping through your plate chiller on route to your fermenter. The important part, if you are using a pump do not have your plate chiller in the loop whilst whirl pooling, only whilst chilling.

I’d considered using incognito but read elsewhere it’s really messy and a bit of a faff. Is that the case?

I'd seen it was a bit messy on the Craft Beer Channel on YouTube, but in this particular case and with it being a 60 litre batch the whole of a 15g pot of a couple of hop pellets will be used so less faff if you're using the full amount of the pot, will just spoon it out and stir into the wort. Will still need to be substituted with pellet hops though but any reduction of pellet hops in the whirlpool is a good thing I think.

On the whirlpool, I do whirlpool and it does capture the vast majority of the hops in a nice neat cone, but still find that some hops that are still suspended in the wort and slip down the side of the hop cone as the wort level drops and can get past the false bottom and end up in the plate chiller, and it doesn't take much to clog or restrict the plate chiller. Think I just need to get a filter for the plate chiller.

I’d considered using incognito but read elsewhere it’s really messy and a bit of a faff. Is that the case?
It's about the right cleaning product. Most of us use sodium per carbonate based cleaners, these are great but, they do not dissolve oil which is what is required for Incognito. A tiny amount of dish soap on a cloth that is wiped round your kettle will sort it. Plus, when it is used with just a small amount of hop pellets it is far easier. Any degreaser will work.

I'd seen it was a bit messy on the Craft Beer Channel on YouTube, but in this particular case and with it being a 60 litre batch the whole of a 15g pot of a couple of hop pellets will be used so less faff if you're using the full amount of the pot, will just spoon it out and stir into the wort. Will still need to be substituted with pellet hops though but any reduction of pellet hops in the whirlpool is a good thing I think.

On the whirlpool, I do whirlpool and it does capture the vast majority of the hops in a nice neat cone, but still find that some hops that are still suspended in the wort and slip down the side of the hop cone as the wort level drops and can get past the false bottom and end up in the plate chiller, and it doesn't take much to clog or restrict the plate chiller. Think I just need to get a filter for the plate chiller.
You could also reduce hop pellet volume by using lipomas hops too

I've used the Flex product in the boil 60mins and pellets at 15mins and there is no oil residue to speak of in the kettle at clean-up. It is super sticky stuff though and I had to clean the dosing syringe with grain alcohol (Spirytus in the UK) and a good soak.

I'll have to try the incognito alongside pellets for whirlpool, looks like a good solution for reducing hop matter and about the same cost as pellets.

Latest posts

Back