Hop free Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocTrucker

Reaction score
After a long little one induced break I finally got another brew on yesterday. One of the things that got me interested in homebrew was the ability to make old recipes and revisit old assumed truths.

This one has been on the cards for a while. Guided by examples from "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers; Stephen Harrod Buhner" I've pieced together a beer from ingredients that could be grown locally to me in the North West.

DME was equal weight of light and medium with added local honey. Herbs were equal portion of St Johns Wort, Yarrow, and Bog Myrtle with around 1/7th portion of Wormwood as it's reported as very bitter and mixed messages on it's toxicity. Using standard english ale yeast - safale 4. Chose a mini 13.5l batch as I thought there was a risk I'd not like it!

Brewer's friend estimated an original gravity of 1.073 and final of 1.013 giving an ABV of 7.84%. My original gravity was 1.076, but don't normally see the final gravitys right on target.

Wort cloudy. Forgot protofloc, and didn't crash cool. Tasted ok. Obviously sweet at this stage but bitterness is far from over powering. Kind of like a meady tea with a bitter tang. On that note I think some bergamot (gives earl grey the floral flavours) may be called for next time!

Pitched yeast around 21:00 last night. Not been down to see if it's active yet.

Last edited:
Back