Hop infusion... coffee machine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterBoy

Reaction score
Hop teas have become pretty common in the last few years, several kits even come with hops in a teabag these days.

I recently tried using a caffetiere after reading about it on these forums and it sort of worked. But it got me thinking, if we want to push hot water through the hops then isn't that exactly what a filter coffee machine does?
Has anyone ever tried loading up the filter paper with hop pellets instead of ground coffee? If you did, what was the result?

I've made teabags with pellets and orange peel.. Makes lovely tea as long as you're not using too much hops.. You can get teabags from ebay and then just fill them yourself..

@strange-steve I got a Russell Hobbs 3008 from a car boot sale and I have been wondering about its potential after being reminded I had the thing from this :

I case people don't know I did a dry hop vs hop tea near the start of fermentation vs near bottling and the start of ferment was rubbish. Dry hop was good; slightly better than the late tea but over a few weeks they were pretty equal. So hop teas are definitely a great way to try out a few different hops at bottling.

So nobody has tried it then in a coffee machine (not sure how we got onto espresso)? My main concern is it would taint the machine for future coffee use or I'd try it next time.

Tempted to do this with an aeropress
Did it with aeropress. No mess. Will report back on how effective it's been once the brew is fermented.

Attachments

• IMG_20200816_144520.jpg
    IMG_20200816_144520.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts

Back