Hop oils

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptAwol

Reaction score
I concentrate my brewing on session light hoppy type pale ales, so experimenting with different types of alternative hop additives, presently my only success is with the Isohop for bittering which eventually has changed my brewing process. Now I brew raw ale type as bittering hop oil is added before the ale is racked off into bag/keg. I've experimented with hop oils added to the whirlpool and had some success but it was messy leaving an oily deposit, however compared to my old system of using a hop rocket X2 with leaf hops, as a home brewer it's not cost effective to go hop oil route.
I'm presently still trying the alternative with regards to dry hoping, but again the jury is out.

Have you tried a Hop Tea?

I’m in the process of ditching my old system for this one:

It’s supposed to get more aroma oils out of the hops; and a less “bittering” oils.

I will introduce the hop tea when kegging a lager kit sometime next week.

Have you tried a Hop Tea?

I’m in the process of ditching my old system for this one:

It’s supposed to get more aroma oils out of the hops; and a less “bittering” oils.

I will introduce the hop tea when kegging a lager kit sometime next week.

I've just watched this and searching other you tubes, interesting that many others boil the water and DH saying that is a big mistake, think I'll give it a go the DH way on next brew, only thing I can't find what is water to hop ratio, any ideas as I normally use 150g pellets in 60L batch

I’m using 1 litre jars with 600ml of water to ensure that I get 500ml of Hop Tea to put into a 10 litre keg.

I’m hoping that this will give me consistency!

The hops of course are a moveable feast, depending on what is included in the kit and what I have available.

BTW, I used 2 x 20g of EKG to check before I did Hop Tea the DH way. The one using boiling water was noticeably more bitter when compared to the one started at 70*C.

However, I considered the one started at 70*C to be too bitter and now start my Hop Teas at 60*C.
:hat:

Back