Hop Pellets and Clogged Bazooka

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doglaner

Reaction score
Hello,

I have got some hop pellets for my next brew, as HBS didn't have leaf, and reckoned he gets no problems with clogged filters after using them in the boil.

I'm sceptical about this, however, and would like your thoughts.

I plan to get a hop spider at some point soon, however at 30 quid, its money I can I'll-afford at the moment.

So, does anyone use pellets without a spider, and if so, how do you deal with the residue when transferring to the FV.

Secondary question, and again following a comment from HBS owner that I should just chuck them in, but how do you use pellets for dry-hopping, and when?

Thanks!

Dog.

PS I did a few searches on this, but could find related comments but nothing specific to my questions. Apologies if I've missed something obvious. Cheers!!

some guys put them in a muslin bag/sock type, i had some yesterday that came in a kit, they were all sealed up like a tea bag,
i think as a rule they turn to a sludge, unlike a leaf that will block the filter i guess these either sink past it or pass through it?

I found that they always blocked my filter, so I stopped filtering. Now I transfer everything from the boiler to the fv, hops n all. When dry hopping I just chuck them in, they eventually sink to the bottom then you can rack the beer off the top.

I found that they always blocked my filter, so I stopped filtering. Now I transfer everything from the boiler to the fv, hops n all. When dry hopping I just chuck them in, they eventually sink to the bottom then you can rack the beer off the top.

What steve said:thumb:

I use muslin bags for all hop additions including later dry hopping and it will contain the vast majority of the pellets within it.

Thanks guys.

I'm going to try the muslin bags first, then nothing at all for the next one, and see how I get on.

Cheers!

Dog.

Latest posts

Back