Hop pellets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobbynormal

Reaction score
hello, a quick question, I’ve just siphoned my latest wilko “summer ale”- which came with hop pellets- in to a barrel to condition. A lot of the dissolved hop pellets got sucked in to the barrel and are floating around.
I’m just asking will they sink to the bottom in time or should I have strained them out with a cloth?
Thanks.

Most homebrewers either put the pellets in a nylon or muslin bag for dry hopping, or if they chuck em in use a filter. I use a siphon tube at packaging and since I chuck em in put a small nylon sock over the end of the siphon cane and trap, which stops the hop bits going forward. Also when you add hop pellets without a bag most will sink with time, and lowering the temperature seems to help but from my experience a few bits will still be held in suspension. In your case some of the bits may settle but you may get a few still in suspension. You will just have to see how it goes.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I’ll pour it back in to the fermenter through a sieve
Don't pour it back, do as @terrym suggested, siphon it with a nylon sock, if thats's what you're gonna do, you want minimal splashing, avoid introducing too much O2, this will affect the flavour.

If you are stuck for a sock type filter, the sterilised end off a pair of nylons will do.
I use the sock that came from a Festival kit like this, also available on ebay
hop sock.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I decided to leave it alone as I don’t intend drinking it till well into the new year so should settle by then. Next time I’ll do it differently.

Back