Hop pellets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purewhitesnow

Reaction score
Just a question about hop pellets (as a relative newcomer to home brewing). Currently brewing a Beerworks Mersey Dockers IPA kit and the instructions say to add the hops on day 5 and to cut them up into fine pieces and then add 500 ml of boiling water and then extract just the hops and add to the FV. Today is day 5 so I have followed these instructions however have realised that they are not actual hops rather the hop pellets which turned to mush in the hot water before I added to the FV.
Is this likely to spoil the brew or will it be ok??

It will be fine, but maybe next time just add them directly to the FV and not add any water, also if you add them to boiling water it can make them bitter so always allow the boiled water to cool to around 80° before adding the hops.

I do remember there’s one of the smaller kit manufacturers that recommends doing this and it’s been raised here before.

There should be no reason for doing what is instructed. Dry hop or make a hop tea, these kits seem to advise a bizarre mashup of the 2!

It won’t do any harm it’s just an unusual practice.

Thanks Terry.
I didn't let it cool down, I just dumped it in the FV and now worried its spoilt because of this. The green sludge just sat on the top so I gave it a gentle stir, again not sure whether I shouldve done that. Probably being paranoid!!

It will be fine, but maybe next time just add them directly to the FV and not add any water, also if you add them to boiling water it can make them bitter so always allow the boiled water to cool to around 80° before adding the hops.
Thanks for the heads up!

I do remember there’s one of the smaller kit manufacturers that recommends doing this and it’s been raised here before.

There should be no reason for doing what is instructed. Dry hop or make a hop tea, these kits seem to advise a bizarre mashup of the 2!

It won’t do any harm it’s just an unusual practice.
Thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back